Twinings Australian Afternoon tea is NOT an Australian product

I didn’t think calling something Australian Afternoon Tea and sticking a kangaroo on the pack means it is an Australian made product at all. Its TWININGS - a British company! By the same token, is Spicy Chai Tea made in India because it has an Indian dancer on the pack with words saying ’ traditional spices as enjoyed in India’?

Rather than being upset it is NOT Australian, I am more ’ upset’ a British company is blending and packing its product in Poland!

5 Likes

I keep a packet of Twining Earl Grey for guests who might prefer it.

On one side of the box there’s the history of the ‘Twining Tradition’ and the
‘ Legend of Earl Grey’, and on the other side it says:
“ Blended and packed to the highest standards of Twining of London in CHINA, using imported and local ingredients. “

3 Likes

There are a number of specialty tea suppliers around the nation.
T2 and the Tea Centre etc.
One way to purchase product that has variety, some assurance of quality and origin.

Aside from the few teas mentioned in previous posts, famous Australian teas such as those by Bushells and Billy Tea have been imported leaf. Although originally blended and retail packed in Australia, someone might know how it is today. We mostly consume a product from Ceylon.

2 Likes

I am sure that the old plywood tea chests had Ceylon marked on the boxes.

2 Likes

Not related to tea, but I saw this today and thought it was a similar case

WA Computers. Based in Queensland it appears

4 Likes

looking at the pics, it does say, (in small print) “Blended and packed in Poland to the highest standards…using the finest imported ingredients”

Still does not disclose WHERE the tea leaves are grown!!

it certainly is marketed to support the Australian tea growers, which is not true!!

Now, for a nice cup of tea, and a lie down!

2 Likes

An interesting observation. Where is this announced. There are contact details provided on the box if customers have any further enquires re the product. This might answer the other question re source of the leaf. Or it may vary, as tea harvesting periods vary by season and growing region.

I remember something about tea clippers racing back from China with the first tea each year to get the premium in the English market.

2 Likes

I can’t see that. It is aimed at the Australian market, it uses Australiana in its images and the verbiage is designed to appeal here. There is a small amount grown here in recent decades but historically tea is about as indigenous in Australia as it is in the UK where Twinings is based. If it was a brand that advertises it is grown in Oz like Nerada it would be different.

3 Likes

Ask Kevin Rudd. When PM he endorsed an Afternoon Tea for Twinnings as long as a percentage of the income went to charity (RSPCA).
Twinnings tried to drop Australian Afternoon Tea when Rudd was no longer PM but his team had locked Twinnings into a contract and they had to continue with the product and the donations to charity. Ask RSPCA.

2 Likes

To be honest, it would never have occurred to me that it would be Australian. As for the “created with Australians” surely they would be suggesting the original recipe design, not that Australians stand around operating the machines on a daily basis. I suggest this is a storm in a teacup!

4 Likes

More like what happens when the teabag has a hole in it and you didn’t notice until?

1 Like

I agree obtaining locally grown tea and coffee without pesticides is not readily available, yet basic product lines are available in supermarkets for Nerida Tea. If you want access greater diversity of black and green teas, along with flavoured teas access Neruda teas via online order. Do check out https://www.neradatea.com.au/our-teas/shop

Also, I do love the home grown coffees without pesticides from tropical soils available via:

https://skybury.com.au/collections

Lets support our local producers who seek to grow produce sustainably and the products do not have to travel thousands of miles to get here and undergo quarantine gasing.

2 Likes

I make Thai curry at home in NSW. It’s the style of curry. Likewise, Australian Afternoon Tea is simply a style name.

1 Like

Depending on product and branding, some do trade on their Australian identity and place of origin. Nerada Tea being one.

The branding of Australian Afternoon Tea represents one extreme, which is permitted. The extent to which it might be Australian is ambiguous due to tea being often labelled by style. Note there is no product of Australia logo or similar on the packaging.

At the other extreme (good) we have products locally such as Maleny Dairies Milk and Maleny Cheese. Both of these products have the raw material sourced from the surrounding district/districts and processing on site.

Unfortunately the name even for Aussie Milk products is no assurance of the source of the raw milk or the location of the processor. There is a community topic built around product identity and source.

3 Likes

The original poster on this topic felt that the labelling was a con, getting the detail and pictures allowed some feedback, discussion and education about Tea in Australia. I think it has been useful to some so not a waste.

3 Likes

Yes it has as the OP is not the only one who saw it that way. I think it very likely there were quite a few spectators who were not too sure and wanted some clarification.

4 Likes

Tea Life is a good web site to buy tea from . I buy their Decaf tea . It is actually loose leaves not dust in a bag as others use . Tea Life’s tea bags are fully biodegradable in case bags are your preference .

5 Likes

Noting all of the feedback received to date and the fact that there are several brands of Australian teas that can be verified as grown in Australia then it is misleading for Twinings to state that their Australian Afternoon tea is Australian when it is not. Storm in a teacup or not, there are specific labelling laws which have been conveniently flouted and shoppers that have a “grab and go” approach are more than likely to be easily misled by the Australian-like imagery and wording.

Moreover if the packaging were to include the percentage of product made in Australia then that would be a step in the right direction, but since that is a voluntary certification scheme (if I read it correctly at https://www.australianmade.com.au/licensee-news/2016/changes-to-food-labelling-laws/).

On the other hand the ACCC sets out quite clearly as to the Country of Origin claims via https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/groceries/country-of-origin and perhaps Twinings is not aware of the requirements as their packaging may not have changed since 30 June 2018 when the changes were mandated.

As Tea is a non priority food it only needs a text statement as to it’s production and origin place. Twinings has done so on the box and are therefore compliant.

Non-priority foods must carry a country of origin text statement about where the food was grown, produced, made or packed. A product is a non-priority food if it belongs to one of the following categories:

• seasoning (e.g. salt, spices and herbs)
  • confectionery (e.g. chocolate, lollies, ice cream, popcorn)
  • tea and coffee (in dry, or ready to drink, form)
  • biscuits and snack food (e.g. chips, crackers and ready to eat savoury snacks)
  • bottled water
  • soft drinks and sports drinks
  • alcohol.”

Misleading name? I don’t like the label but it isn’t illegal, it is a style or flavour name just like Earl Grey or other varieties as others have pointed out. Misleading or deceptive conduct has a tighter legal definition than what this label shows.

5 Likes

That is a matter of opinion, unless tested in court it is unreasonable to say they have broken a law. It seems very unlikely to me. If the strictly literal view of imaging was enforced at law we would have plain paper packaging for everything.

I seemed to recall a brand of tea that used tea clippers in its brand imagery - it may have been Twinings I am not sure, it doesn’t matter. Should they have been criticised because the tea had not in fact been halfway round the world in a sailing ship?

Using imagery is not the same as saying it was grown in Oz. Buyers need to be aware that imagery exists and does not necessarily say anything substantial about the product, it is a feeling that the vendor wants to project using pictures nothing more and that is true no matter what speed you take it off the shelf an put it in the basket.

2 Likes