Tweaking Choice's home-made muesli recipe

Hey All,

I’ve been making my own muesli from Choice’s recipe for years and love it.

I’ve dropped some of the fruit as recommended to reduce the sugar content and have shaved a little off the coconut to limit the fat, and I’m wondering if I can tweak it some more.

Do we have any nutritionists here who can suggest any ingredients to increase or lower (or add?), or is it pretty-well all rounded out (as you’d expect of a recipe like this in Choice)?

Thanks.

• G.
3 Likes

I’m not a nutritionist, but have been making my own muesli for about 35 years.
I’ve just mixed up my latest jar full about 20 minutes ago. I don’t strictly measure out each ingredient, and the ingredients do vary with each batch depending on what is in the pantry.
This batch was made up approximately like this:
Rolled oats: 500g
puffed buckwheat (OR millet, spelt, rice etc): 2 cups
shredded coconut: 1 cup
chopped dried apricots: 1 cup
chopped dried apples: 1/2 cup
currants: 1/2 cup
sultanas: /2 cup
I also add dried mango and dates if I have any
EDIT: I forgot to list the nuts, almonds: 1/4 cup and walnuts: 1/4 cup

I generally have a bowl of it with soy or almond milk and sliced a banana/peach apricot or cherries, depending on what I have at the time. This is usually followed by a 2-4 hour ride on the MTB, sugar content is not an issue!

3 Likes

Thanks Gordon.

I’m a sedentary IT person - I don’t need the sugar.

3 Likes

Again, I am not a nutritionist, but we also add unprocessed oat bran to our muesli mix. It is relatively cheap ($2 for 500gm at Coles/Woolworths) There are benefits which have been attributed to regular intake of oat bran such as the ones outlined here. It also has a mild, but pleasant taste.

We also add walnuts and hazelnuts instead of almonds as we have these trees in the backyard. The dried fruit we add is dates as again it possibly is nutritionally better than some other dried fruits. The walnuts, hazelnuts and dates are cut up into around 5mm sized pieces.

Our current mix is something like:

1kg rolled oats
500gm quick oats
250gm high fibre processed bran
1-2 cup oat bran
1 cup coconut
1 cup walnuts (crushed or diced)
1/2 cup sliced dates
1/4 cup hazelnuts
teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon (and more recently about the same amount of ground ginger as well)

We sometimes add white sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, peanuts or sultanas from time to time (instead of or in addition to the usual nuts/fruits) to change the mix and make the flavour a little different.

The mix is also good to make a bircher muesli type breakfast where fresh home made yoghurt and a small amount of juice is added to muesli in a bowl, the night before.

2 Likes

You could cut the honey and replace it with a Stevia sweetener to take a bit more sugar out, you could add whey powder (or a vegetable protein powder such as hemp protein powder if avoiding milk products) to increase the protein.

3 Likes

You reminded me that I forgot an ingredient on our muesli mix…a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon. Cinnamon is a spice when added to food makes the brain think it is sweeter than it actually is. We don’t add anything other than the dates for sweetness. We have the muesli usually with other cereals (weetbix, cereal, processed wheat bran and unprocessed oat bran).

I have amended the above post to include cinnamon.

3 Likes