Tv tests - why no 32 inch models?

Why are there no 32 inch TVs in your latest test? When were they last tested?

Thanks

3 Likes

Hi RonB1949 & welcome to the forum.

I think the answer is size matters! Nowdays people want bigger TVs.

From the Choice article How we test TVs (no date supplied):
“Flat screen TVs enjoyed a surge in popularity in the early 2000s with the most popular display size of 32-inches (87cm). The model of choice became 42-inches (107cm) within a couple of years and remained so until the 55-inch (140cm) TV toppled the 42-inch model last year as the new standard size for the average lounge room. This year, 65-inch models are predicted to be the volume seller.”

The smallest size I could find in the most recent TV review was 39". Obviously this is no help if you don’t have that much space.

4 Likes

I went shopping with my folks for a new TV at the start of the year…and most major retailers don’t sell TVs less than 42/43 inch. They wanted a smaller sise to fit into their room, and even at 42/43 inch, the selection was somewhat limited. The sales guys at Videopro indicated that most customers, like @meltam indicated, want big screens…rather than sub 49 inch. My folks ended up with a 49 inch as none of the smaller ones suited them.

As Choice has limited budgets, they generally test models and sizes which are popular in the market place and readily available.

3 Likes

Hi @RonB1949, I must concur with the sentiments expressed to date. I had a look at the JB Hi-Fi website. They only had four 32” models, FFalcon, Samsung, Hisense and Linstar, while the 55” or larger category had 69 models.

3 Likes