TV antennas--real numbers

Just went to a caravan factory and asked about their choice of antenna which was not suitable in my opinion. They told me they got their information from DOMETIC ( who sell caravan bits a pieces). They had been told their antenna was good for both vertical and horizontal TV transmission. The manufacturer then passes this information onto their buyers. As it happens the antenna in question would work as advertised close to a transmitter (say in the city) but as soon as the van was moved to the country where signals can be weaker the reception would onlty be reasonable for HORIZONTALLY polarized UHF transmission. That’s not why people buy caravans. It needs to work in the country. Its misrepresentation–sometimes unintentional but misleading all the same

1 Like

Sorry wasn’t getting notified of responses. Good idea

I’m lucky I guess, I have line of sight to the TV repeater on top of Mt Sugarloaf. I’m still using a pair of old rabbit ears which I was using pre-digital TV and it still works. I bought a dedicated antenna when the switch first happened, the rabbit ears work better.

1 Like

I used to laugh at the spruiking antenna manufacturers made in the leadup to the commencment of digital TV, such as digital ready or digital tuned.

As long as an antenna is suitable for the transmitter frequencies, it is irrelevant whether the signal is analogue or digital.

It is far more important to ensure the polarisation is correct by mounting a yagi antenna either in the horizontal or the vertical plane.

And if the signal is strong enough, a piece of wet string would work.

2 Likes

Don’t knock it. This could be the future of the NBN!

4 Likes

The performance can be boosted substanially by adding a tin can at each end.

I’ve personally used an ATU to liven up a no-standing sign, a barbed wire fence and a stobie pole among other things - with a few hundred watts input - can be fun. That, and taping a fluoro tube to a mobile whip 
 the fun that can be had with RF 

2 Likes

You don’t have recurring dreams of a previous life and,
Wardenclyffe? :wink:

We live at the extreme edge of the towns FTA reception. On windy nights, no TV with a normal digital TV antenna.
We got a “Digital Indoor/Outdoor TV Antenna LT3137” from RTM as a present, and now have perfect reception. It’s supposed to reduce GSM phone interference while boosting signal.

The fluoro to the whip was a common tool I used in the army.

1 Like

Looks like a phased array–quite good–it doesn’t mention but I would recommend --that the face is pointed towards the transmitter–hopefully the wall they speak about is facing the right way :). I can’t tell because I can’t see the elements but its probably horizontal polarization