Tumeric Adulterated With Lead

An article regarding tumeric being adulterated with lead in Bangladesh to make it a brighter yellow colour.

A very compulsive reason for country of origin product labelling requirements.

Some grubs will stop at nothing to rip consumers off even if it kills them.

8 Likes

Yes, I quite agree. The use of tumeric in our diet is increasing, with some probably health benefits, and we don’t want to be made sick or killed by it instead.

I wonder if its possible for Choice to test at least some common supermarket brands for the presence of lead? At least that way we could have some guidance.

PS I have just put this in as a suggestion for a Choice test.

6 Likes

I buy Australian grown and dehydrate it. Don’t know why we have to buy overseas products.

4 Likes

It is very easy to grow in warmer climates. It grows well in Brisbane and ours produces about 5kg fresh rhizomes each year (most of which we give away). It can be grated (micro grater) or ground in (mortar and pestle) and used fresh.

4 Likes

Fresh will not keep well for a year and be used only when needed…

Might try growing next year.

3 Likes

Another option here might be for Choice to also ask the same question of the major retailers and the responsible Federal Government Minister for an assurance that such product is safe and being tested.

Nothing like getting an assurance from government only to demonstrate otherwise shortly afterwards?

5 Likes

Go to farmers markets and buy directly from the organic farmer. Dehydrate in the oven at low temps.

2 Likes

It grows well in not so warm climates too. I’ve had heaps growing in my aquaponics system over the past few years.
We freeze it for long term storage.

4 Likes