Trying to move from Telstra to Boost Mobile - BYO, with no contract

They learnt it from the banks and insurance companies.

4 Likes

My wife and I have been with Boost for around 5 years. We are currently on $30 per month all you can eat prepaid plans, with 20Gb data per month plus a further 20Gb rollover. The service is Telstra wholesale, and in most places itā€™s 4G.
We have set up auto recharges, which is basically a set and forget procedure.
You can get starter SIM cards at Woolies and servos. Then you go on line to set it up

5 Likes

I moved to Boost from Woolworthsmobile, because the $150 p/a was the cheapest available at the time (I wasnt interested in Belong). Its been good, but expiry is in Feb, and since then WWM has reintroduced a cheaper plan, $10/m for unlimited calls etc + 1GB, or $60 for 6 months which gets you 2GB per month. Iā€™ve bought a SIM in anticipation of that. Since I bought my Boost, Iā€™ve made half a dozen calls, and used less than 2GB of the available 80GB. Not a big user. So I go for the cheapest possible on the Telstra network. And I like the WWM app MUCH more than the Boost one.

Interestingly at the time, I was able to use the intro SIM from Coles, but there were issues when I failed to mention that I wanted to keep my old number. Customer support was excellent at this time and it was all sorted in a couple of days.

5 Likes

@PhilT has posted elsewhere about the ALDIMobile 1 Year Superpacks that come out on special. As others have posted about the Boost and similar yearly deals I have linked the ALDIMobile one here as well. For $99 you get 365 days, 15 GB data, with unlimited Calls, SMS & MMS nationally (so if interested in one you need to watch for when they come on sale through the Specials):

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/99-super-pack/

3 Likes

The fastest Solution Telstra to Boost.
If Telstra post paid change to Pre Paid
Purchase Boost $2 prepaid card locally.
Activate Boost Card via 12XXXX1 - 30 minutes (needed if you are Telstra subscriber) - lots of personal questions to identify you - make sure your number is unchanged if required.
Then activation on your phone takes <1 hour.
Go online and purchase your Pre-Paid Boost Plan - activate and you are now a Boost Subscriber.
Simple once you know how to do it.
PeterH

2 Likes

Also for noting once one has bought a value pack from Aldimobile it can be auto recharged annually, and if one runs out of data they have options to add some.

2 Likes

Glad you are a happy Boost customer but you are getting ā€˜betterā€™ coverage than you think. As documented elsewhere Boost uses the entire Telstra network not just the wholesale network, although it is up to 4G only (does not offer 4GX where Telstra does) and is limited to 100 Mbps download speeds - not something many of us would notice :wink:

4 Likes

Why are you persisting with them? Go ALDI. Even if there isnā€™t an ALDI store nearby you can do it all online and without any bs.

1 Like

Depending on where one lives and travels, Boost is the only choice beside Telstra that uses the entire Telstra network, not just the wholesale segments. If one lives in a regional area or travels beyond the major built-up areas Boost has much to commend it compared to any that only use the wholesale network. When there is coverage versus no coverage in the mix choices can be clearer than just looking at plans or even customer service.

4 Likes

I will second that.

1 Like

ALDIMOBILE is Telstra coverage. Thatā€™s the reason we went with them, as well as the great customer service.

1 Like

As you probably know Aldimobile uses the Telstra Wholesale network not the full Telstra network. If you are not aware of the difference it can be huge depending on where you are or travel. In a capital city? Nothing to worry about.

5 Likes

NayA
Why we persisted - ECONOMICS - Boost have the best deal for us. We use little data but make local and international calls and at $12.50 pm it just cannot be beaten. Most plans are higher than this one.
pH

4 Likes

We have just taken out the same offerā€¦for exactly the same reason. We have opted for the starter SIM pack rather than number porting. Will let everyone know if we have any problems or everything goes smoothly.

3 Likes

This is something I was interested in as a backup for when exetel gets the hiccups. I wonder if theres a problem with using it in a mobile BB router instead of a phoneā€¦

4 Likes

There are data SIMS with no phone service with annual expiries at sharp prices. Aldi has them as do many other companies. Search ā€˜data SIM 365 day annualā€™ and you will get lots of hits you are not interested in, but among the chaff will be data-only offers from the telecoms as well as many MVNOs.

3 Likes

Actually got very few hits. All the ones I got were for phone, and data only got me nothing. I tried different search terms, too, also hit whistleout and told it data only, 365 day prepaid and got one hit that was valid, the others were all phone related. May as well just tether the phone and be done with it.

2 Likes

My partner goes through the exercise every year and comes up with at least 5 or 6 data SIM plans to compare. She apparently has learned who offers what and just goes to the respective web sites.

3 Likes

For data only (you use an ALDI SIM but only use the Data Recharge offering)
https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/data-plans/

For the Superpack in particular

2 Likes

SIM arrived 2 business days after ordering (it was despatched the day after purchase). Activation of SIM using new number was straightforward and was usable about 5 minutes afterwards. Activation was done online. Went very smoothly and no issues to report.

4 Likes