Trouble getting your prescription for glasses or contact lenses?

Have you ever had difficulty obtaining a copy of your glasses or contact lens prescription from your optometrist?

Please let us know your experiences.

4 Likes

I always ask for a copy of my prescription when I have my eyes tested, as it’s very handy if I should break my glasses if away from home. My optometrist has never refused. They know that they give such good service that I wouldn’t willingly go anywhere else.

7 Likes

Years ago when online glasses were a new thing, i asked OPSM for my script and let them know i was going to use an on-line company for the glasses. They were clearly not happy and didn’t seem to have a way to give me the script other than writing it on some notepaper. They also tried to discourage me by saying something along the lines of online companies had poorer quality lenses and frames. i had to laugh when i heard that. It worked out well in the end and i was happy with the glasses i ordered online.

5 Likes

The last 3 optometry companies I have patronised over the last decade all had one thing in common. None gave or offered me a printout of my prescription, but none refused when I asked for it, as I always do.

4 Likes

In the last dozen or so years, I too have had to ask for a copy of the script every visit. It has never been offered. Even when I ask, they sometimes forget to provide it and I have to prod at the end of the appointment or ring back to get it. I don’t remember any outright refusals.

4 Likes

Never been refused but always needed to request, generally the Optometrist I visit is who I get my glasses from so no real need to have the prescription in my hand. I have sometimes under the MAS scheme needed to go to a MAS scheme supporting business after getting tested at a non MAS one, this is when I have requested one.

4 Likes

I’ve been seeing the same optometrist for almost 40 years.

Around five years ago, I asked for a copy of my prescription, so that I could buy some discount glasses in Japan. Optometrist wasn’t happy about it, and suggested that the quality of glasses in Japan could be inferior. Ridiculous, as they had always pointed out that the best lenses they sourced were the ones made in Japan. The glasses I had made in Japan were top-notch and inexpensive. In the last few years, the quality of the lenses from my optometrist has gone downhill, but the prices have not.

As I have some unusual issues with my eyes, I had stuck with that optometrist, but last year I was referred to an ophthalmologist, who is now doing the relevant tests, so for my next general check-up, I’ll be going elsewhere.

7 Likes

Only been once to a optometrist to get eyes tested…only been wearing glasses for about 8 months. I am going to specifically ask when next at the optometrist…likely in the early half of 2021…and see what the response is.

4 Likes

I’ve worn glasses since I was 2 years old. Once I reached adulthood and organised my own testing I have always been either given the prescription without having to ask, or if I have had to ask it has been willingly given. Whenever I travel the prescription is one of the first things packed. Now that I have had cataracts lens replacement I don’t really need it to the same degree, but I’ll still be ensuring I have one.

5 Likes

I believe that in Australia, optometrists must supply a copy of your optical prescription on request. They are permitted to make a charge commensurate with the cost of doing so, but mine just wrote it out and gave it to me.

1 Like

Yes but no. The rule is in this document, section 2. (requires a pdf download, so the following is extracted)

The right of the patient to the prescription is provided both by common law and by Medicare regulations that are binding on all participating optometrists.No additional fee should be charged for providing a copy of the prescription at the conclusion of an examination… patient also has the right to receive a copy of the prescription at any time after the prescription has been determined. When a patient requests a copy of the prescription some time after it was determined, the optometrist should respond to the request within a reasonable amount of time. Optometrists may charge the patient a fee commensurate with the costs involved in supplying the copy of the prescription.If a patient is examined and his or her prescription has not altered, the patient still has a right to the prescription. If a patient does not require spectacles, no prescription need be issued.Patients should be informed of their right to a copy of their prescription before any dispensing (including selecting a frame) has occurred. This can be done by posting a notice to this effect in the practice where it will be seen by patients.

2 Likes