Transferring Money into Australia

More details are at Hi, how can we help? | Wise Help Centre

Their docs keep changing so can’t find the info but when you open an account you can create a AUD account and accept payment that way or link your existing AUD bank account. Then the sender can pay into new account or pay using your Wise account email address which pays into your existing linked account so similar to using PayPal. I use the latter.

Sending money info How do I send money with Wise? | Wise Help Centre

@GeorgeL Interesting. I will look into that. It seems that Wise offers a much broader service than OFX.

Yeah they’re definitely more useful.

Found the details in Wise android app for email based payments screenshot below

And

Basically both your friend and you will sign up for Wise accounts linking and setting up your existing local bank accounts as primary so you can transfer money using your Wise registered email account addresses

1 Like

I cannot speak of NL banks, but I transfer funds from a US financial institution to my local. I ring them and state I would like to send $AUD to my Aussie bank, details on file. They give me an xrate to accept or decline (and thus cancel the transfer). My US statement will show the $USD amount and a separate $USD25 wire fee charge. The $USD fee would be the same for $1 or $10’s millions, but as the amount goes up the xrate gets better. If I ring Monday (US)EST prior to their cutoff time the deposit usually shows on my local account by mid-day Wed AEST. I find it convenient, top service, and if I pay a bit extra in their xrate from the aboslute best from anyone I am not fussed as the account provides significant other value.

3 Likes

ouch that seems expensive compared to Wise!

1 Like

When one is sending $100,000 per the OP, or $10’s of thousands, is that a biggie? For a few hundred it would be. I also get $0 commission share trades and other benefits, so I pick my poison. As the xrates fluctuate you could win or lose far more than that difference in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Wise :sunglasses:

for $1000

for $100k

and $10k

hmm yeah looks like the fees get higher heh

Though it’s sender who pays the fee

Guess depends on NL user’s bank fees.

Wise compared to Aussie bank fees for $1k transfer

Thanks

Interesting point, thank you.