Toyota Apparently Takes Design Problem as Not Their Worry

Since we’re talking about car-makers and dealers accepting responsibility…

My wife and I bought a new, bottom-of-the-range French-model vehicle at the beginning of the century, and it was troublesome from day one. The dealership didn’t want to know about us - they were more concerned about the people who bought Porches and the other expensive they also sold.

We had problems like my wife following me home after a ‘repair’ of the rear lights and reporting that they weren’t working. The dealership response: “are you sure?” Eventually, after the nth breakdown on the highway, we wrote to the dealership and to the Australian distributor. Response? “Your car’s fine.”

We ended up trading the vehicle in after about six months, for a demo-model Magna that continues to run strongly to this day. We bought a second Magna a year later, that likewise continues to run strongly.

3 Likes

A trading company called ATECO was the importer for Citroen, Maserati, and a few others around then. My previous comments about ATECO are here. Peugeot and Citroen are now imported by Inchcape European Auto and Renault did a massive product and service turnaround. My recent experiences are that both Citroen and Renault have backed their vehicles as well as any.and better than some of the high volume marques.

4 Likes