CHOICE membership

Too much (paper) waste due to posted sale/product leaflets

waste-collection
shopping

For some time I started seriously reducing my waste. While with the organic waste had a simple solution, composting ar home, over which I had a direct control over, I find it much harder with recycled waste. It goes without saying that there’s a massive problem in Australia with recycled anything, plastic, paper, metal. Going through my recycle bin, much of the waste is from advertising leaflets from different companies. I find no value in them, I literally take them from my mail and put them in the bin. They are being posted even if there’s a no junk sign. I can understand they appeal to certain demographics, but these days they are also very thick. They usually present all their product range, surely causing some sort of choice paralysis. I don’t know any stats on this issue but the fact is, they are outdated, possibly not leading to higher sales, and adding to the issue of waste. Would love to hear some opinions on this matter. Hopefully, even get a campaign going. I wish they get reduced, at the bare minimum, and banned, at best.

If you are in Queensland and receiving junk mail (UAM) with contrary signage on your letterbox, one can lodge a complaint with the Distribution Standard Board…

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/pollution/management/waste/litter-illegal-dumping/junk-mail

If not in Queensland, see if your state government has similar avenues for redress.

I also agree that the production of unsolicited advertising material is a waste of resources and would be good if a government took a stand and did something about it.

Unfortunately, while many of us have displeasure with receiving UAM, there are many that still want it delivered. This is why lodging a complaint is the best thing to do until more drastic action is taken by goverment.

An issue as to who such a ban might affect?

My elderly parents lived by the deliveries since they did not use the internet, smart phones, or even buy a daily paper.

Perhaps the system should change to an “opt in” registered design sticker on the letter box supported by legislation?

The delivery contractors get paid for the volume of deliveries. It is possibly only pocket money to them. Regulation of their delivery service might be a step too far. Which would leave the distribution/publishers the only target for regulation and penalty.

With basic tablet devices being so cheap, would it be more cost effective for the publishers to offer free reader mode only tablets fitted with a mobile data device as an alternative. Content could be updated off peak as a broadcast streaming service that might also include news and other community content? Or for the tech savvy users a universal app able to use existing devices.

There are already apps available to obtain ‘catalogues’ from the main retailers electronically which is a few steps down this pathway.

We used to get maybe 1kg of junk mail a fortnight, but since over half of dwellings in our area now have ‘No Junk Mail’ or similar signage, they have stopped delivery. I spect thatthe effort to deliver to the minority of houses without signs is not worth the cost or effort.

Maybe that is another way to stop junk mail, run a local campaign to have junk mail signs installed on almost every letterbox…then they might give up like in our residential area.

BTW, it doesn’t stop Australia post, real estate or ither more direct UAM being delivered though…the volume of this is insignificant compared to the past UAM.

Free st8ckers can be sourced following using the information on this website…

I no longer ever look at the catalogues so they go straight into the yellow bin.

I simply read the “sneak peak” catalogues online after 5:00 PM every Monday so as to check what Coles, Woollies and our local Supa IGA will be offering on Wednesday.

I find usually the deliverers pay attention to my no junk mail sign. I get to see catalogues (and I do like to) by going to lasoo.com.au and viewing them there. There’s enough to keep anyone entertained :slight_smile:

We live in the bush - very little junk mail. Tuesday we get our weekly “Householders” haul, if any, and at most 3 cards/flyers. Relatives in town get junk daily; Aust Post “To the Householder”, the massive rolls of supermarket & chain store glossies delivered by walkers, catalogues from door-to-door sellers, and the weekly free paper thrown from a car. They joyfully hand them on to us when we visit (about 5 times a year) as they normally bin them. I enjoy browsing, then they are soaked & go into compost. We don’t have a bin service. I would prefer they didn’t waste the money.

I get my “specials” emailed directly from a local shop, the other chain emails an alert if a new catalogue is available on-line. Innovations annoy me - I bought one thing from them, ticked No Catalogue, and have been getting them posted ever after. Save the paper.

My preferred merhod also. Unfortunately, other members of my household then become quite hostile toward me if or when they find out. Nothing short of a complete ban by an independent authority would alleviate my predicament.