Tomatoes "Back To The Future" Moment

An article regarding tomatoes having originally being orange coloured and that these ones have much higher health benefits.

I recall watching a documentary regarding the introduction of the new foods taken from the New World in which it was stated that Europeans were highly suspicious of tomatoes and avoided them for many years after the other fruits and vegetables were accepted.

What a pity Colombus did not leave the tobacco behind.

Montezuma’s revenge?

1 Like

Possibly because they looked a lot like Deadly Nightshade, & Mandrake Solanaceae flowers fruits &/or plants to which they are related as are potatoes, egg plants, & capsicums/chillies.

2 Likes

It even scored a mention in this slide of the slideshow I posted today.

1 Like

It’s interesting how veges have colour fashions too. You can get tomatoes that are nearly black, also striped as well as yellow and orange but red is the only colour in Colesworths.

Capsicums come in orange, red, yellow, brown, purple and other shades in between. These are the colours when ripe, they are all green when immature. Of those only red and yellow make it to the supermarket and the latter not much. If you want to know what colour your green capsicum will be when it is ripe you will have to grow your own as they don’t ripen once cut.

1 Like

For many years, we have been buying Coles Cocktail Tomatoes which are in a double row still on the vine and packed in a plastic container, but Coles have not had any stock for months up until this week, and removed the sign from the display and the product from their website.

I bought a pack of Coles Vine Ripened Tomatoes a while back and they were good but still not as nice as the Cocktail ones, so I bought another pack a couple of weeks ago.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/earlville/product/tomatoes-vine-ripened-truss-prepacked

My wife grilled 3 of them cut in half for breakfast the other day. They were still hard despite being cooked for longer, had no juice at all and were completely tasteless, and I returned the remaining 3 to Coles this week for a full refund of the $6.90 I paid for the 500gm pack.

Woollies have a similar product but it is not quite as good as the Cocktail tomatoes.

I am aware that the so-called field or gourmet tomatoes are not fit for human consumption but just for show, but I am disgusted that premium priced vine ripened tomatoes could be just as revolting if not actually worse.