Toilet Fresheners

But without the ’ blue’ yellow means no flushing is going on and deep yellow/orange means drink more water. So why is blue necessary?

What do you do with the spent match? Flush it down??

My point was blue was not necessary. Our family had moved to town briefly and my mother was worried about “standards” now we were under scrutiny ie boys & men not urinating out in the yard where neighbours could see them. Flushing the toilet after each use. Advertisers had convinced her that only a sparkling toilet with blue water would be socially acceptable. The unintended outcome was continued scrutiny of the colour of the water and the males in the house. There was a sigh of relief when we went back “bush”. :wink:

1 Like

I put all used matchsticks into an emptied matchbox, when full of used matches they’re kept for bbq fire as first level kindling.

1 Like

I’ve found the discussion very entertaining. Thanks :slight_smile:

Blue water: I don’t use any water colour on principle (waste of money, environmentally bad, etc) but as my toilet is old, even though it is scrubbed to death, it still looks grungy. For this reason, I am occasionally seduced by advertising and buy some blue smelly stuff, but my tolerance only lasts 1-2 days & I throw it out. I usually use a spray bottle filled with water, dash of bleach, and dash of eucalyptus oil or tea-tree oil.

About the colour - this could be completely irrelevant but blue & yellow are opposites on the colour wheel, so are complementary:" Complementary colors are pairs of colors which, when combined or mixed, cancel each other out (lose hue) by producing a grayscale color like white or black."

So perhaps the colour is deliberate, rather than being primarily a vision of the ocean … which may be its ultimate destination after all …

1 Like

Actually, blue and yellow when mixed together make green, it is when the three primary colours:
red, blue, yellow, are mixed together that they cancel each other and we get a muddy brown. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by “mixed”. If you mix red, green and blue paint you get a muddy grey-brown. If you mix red, green and blue light you get white, that’s how monitors and TVs work. The first is subtractive mixing the second is additive mixing.

2 Likes

We’re talking about blue coloured toilet water + urine (blue and yellow =green):laughing::joy:

1 Like

A poopy smelling bog?

I particularly like Orange Oil. I don’t wanna shill, but - it’s very good. That and the fan.

VIPoo when I tried it smelt fake. PooPoouri might be better - and I hope it does if I order it.

On blue water - nah. We’ll give it a scrub with toilet duck or whatever, but I don’t do blue loo. I am a younger person though, so maybe I haven’t been sucked into the whole cycle of the toilet aisle.

(My toilet does not look like the one from the Young Ones, for the record. :rofl:)

5 Likes

When needed, we pour bleach around the inside of the toilet and leave it there till next use. Makes it very clean.

If the air is pungent, we use a pump pack citrus spray. Sweet!

2 Likes

This is an odd aside but I have a problem with toilet mould, it’s due to medications that causes excess sugar to be excreted, which in turn feeds the microbes, this means the toilet needs to be cleaned more often than most.

I find that toilet fresheners with bleach as part of the formula, either in cistern that slowly dissolves or the side hanging ones are really good at controlling toilet mold and preventing build-up which means I can go longer between cleans.

5 Likes

I am a newbie: is there any way to actually just add one’s vote to requesting testing? I’d love to see these fresheners, blue dyes etc looked at carefully by Choice but don’t feel the need to write something profound on the topic.

3 Likes

@BrendanMays, a good suggestion. Can it be added to the queue of to do’s?

3 Likes

There is a DIY method but for those posting general requests it is not necessarily so easy.

• I would like to see a Choice review of toilet fresheners.
0 voters

It will be interesting to see if this approach works in this topic.

3 Likes

I’ll pass on the request for consideration :+1:

1 Like

If Choice proceeds with a review.
For those of us with septic or treatment plants it would be useful to know if a particular product is suitable for either. There is also an assumption that some of the components (EG dye, surfactants, salts) may pass through unaltered into the disposal area. It may be beyond Choice to advise on or quantify the effects assuming a certain annual consumption rate, ppm per litre of flush water for each chemical lost to the local environment or it’s potential to cause harm.

As mentioned previously we make do without.

2 Likes