Thongs, the footwear

Thongs are cheap, that’s true, only a few bucks. However, they don’t last long at all before plugs pull or or they split in half. What a waste. It just contributes to landfill and worse. We have all seen thongs washed up on beaches from God knows where. I find myself continually needing to go out to buy new thongs. It’s annoying. Can we please have a review of thongs, thongs that last. A thong that lasts twice as long as another, contributes 50% less to environmental degradation.
I came upon a brand called Vionic. They looked good and stout. They are pricey but I’m happy to pay more if I don’t have to keep buying new ones. They also feel great to walk in. I thought they would be my brand in future. Unfortunately, I found the straps deteriorated in the sun much quicker than the sole. So I’m thinking they might not be worth the higher price.

7 Likes

I purchased several pairs of thongs from this company nearly a year ago - one pair for myself, the others for family members. Apart from a few very cold days in Winter, I have used them daily: I am very pleased with the quality.
May be worth your while to look at their website… https://archiesfootwear.com.au/

4 Likes

Wow. In addition to all the positive reviews on their website, they also rate highly on Producr Review.

3 Likes

We used to buy thongs and no matter how much they cost, they never lasted long.

We have migrated to clogs …for around the home and garden…and walking sandals for outside the house. The clogs can be bought for a few dollars and will last as long as the sole does (when it wears through), which is usually about 3-5 years.

4 Likes

Best pair of thongs I ever had were hand made by an acquaintance. They used car tyre tread to make the base and a soft flat rope to make the straps. They lasted years but we have lost contact with the person who made them so sadly not something we use anymore.

4 Likes

Wow, much cheaper than Crocs and last just as long.

3 Likes

With an abundance of designer labels and high cost it’s great that concerns over quality have been raised.

I’d suggest that as part of testing Choice do a wet pavement slip grip test. Also a wet thong test variation because a loose foot on the upper surface can be equally amusing or deadly in outcome.

How comfort is rated might be a little subjective, given one size fits all shapes.

Note:
I don’t wear scuffs any more. Older legs and feet tend to be a little uncoordinated, leading to trips or loose things on feet flying off. Thongs or scuffs as we called them, or flip flops or jandals or … may not even be a wise or safe choice. Something for the buying guide if one us produced.

Can we also confirm the need to wear tight Warwick Capper style shorts to complement the male fashion statement?

Alternatives.
I wear Japanese style house slippers indoors (open toed) available for a few dollars in a variety of styles and colours. Many are washable. They seem to grip the foot acceptably for indoors. I prefer a lace up shoe for out and about. Or boots for the yard. Gummies are the most convenient slip on. I’m forbidden from wearing crocs, with or without socks. Although I occasionally get to sneak sandals into the wardrobe. Umm clogs, worth a try, the Dutch neighbour will be impressed.

4 Likes

I have my second pair of Birkenstock Arizona sandals. The first pair lasted 20 some years and were still serviceable but I opted for new on a whim whilst travelling in the EU and seeing a sale I could not walk by.

I do not take care of them. I wear them as house slippers, outside, wherever, however and have found them pretty much indestructible. Where would I not use them? Salt water wading or chlorinated pools.

The price point could dissuade many but they are mighty fine sandals/clogs and amortised at about $7.50 p.a. the cost might not look so bad.

5 Likes

I have mentioned before about the quality of footwear in general that most shoes don’t last very long. It’s just so silly as you mention about the quality of thongs. One brand I won’t purchase is from style tread colarado. The shoes are comfortable seem waterproof enough but the sole isn’t that great if walking a distance. I go by choice recommendation when possible and so far is good. I noticed many sandal types around that slide the foot in and click with the adjustable bracket. Not sure how they compare with normal thongs. I agree about the deposit in landfill with cheap shoes.

3 Likes

thanks, this is genuinely useful info. I’ve never worn thongs as they hurt my feet and now older couldn’t even vaguely consider them. have worn clogs with great results and Birkenstock too. so this has prompted me to revisit the take-out-the-trash footwear.

4 Likes

I would like to keep this discussion to plain Aussie rubber thongs please. Alternatives can be discussed elsewhere.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @BobT!

I wear $2.00 rubber thongs around the house in summer and usually there’s not much deterioration except fading colours due to frequent washing.

Re keeping strictly to the topic, a very wise member of the Forum once said:
“ Getting everyone to keep to a topic straight and narrow is usually more difficult than herding cats. “
I remind myself of this whenever I get frustrated with ‘Off-Topic’ posts. :joy:

3 Likes

My husband won’t wear anything but Rocko’s Double Pluggers… and he’s the kind who will wear them everywhere but work :joy:

I’ve found Target’s offering for ladies and kids is fairly cost effective and reliable. I usually lose one before they fall apart!
I’d love to see testing too - maybe in time for Aussie day.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely before Aussie Day. After all, how would we perform the Aussie Haka?

1 Like

Um… that video is a bit inappropriate.

I found some knockoffs of Birkenstock “Boston” slipons (ebay: Dr Brinkmann or “Joe and Joyce”… I’ve only bought Dr Brinkmann) They are supremely comfortable and last longer than Crocs. And you can get them re-soled. I have multiple pairs of crocs in the cupboard which I can’t wear at the moment because I have swollen feet due to cardiac “issues” and I dont know if that will go away. Its annoying because I love the soft footbed in Crocs. However… I cant get the soft suede I currently have, no longer being sold, so will need to find something else. Maybe some thongs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why? I’ll remove it if you wish.

1 Like

Following your advice, I bought a pair of Rocko’s. I’ll let you know in a couple of years how they work out. Yes, I have a stubbie holder to go with them but I’ll have to invest in a pair stubbies, a navy singlet and wrap-around sunnies to complete the package :rofl:

3 Likes

Haven’t worn thongs for 50 years because they were usually crap. Last year I found the kids lived in thongs called Havaianas from Brazil. They are brilliant, comfortable and long lasting. The cheapest ones are the most comfortable for me, the more expensive ones are harder but last longer. I now live in the cheap ones. $19 from Rivers or Anaconda.

So do our grown up kids. I’m still amazed at the price given I lived once in the upper market 99c models from any good super market. Slightly less expensive than a late night study snack consisting of a full size can of coke plus a full size Mars bars (before they shrunk).

Scuffs must be super well made today by comparison to demand price premiums?

A motor vehicle tyre made from all sorts of rubber compounds, including silicon rubbers, wire and fabric reinforced with a complex tread pattern costs between $100 and $200 typically. That’s fitted and balanced. The amount of material in a car tyre 6-10kg dependIng on …

The unit of weight cost as little as $10 per kilogram of tyre.

Amazingly thongs/scuffs aren’t quite that complex or heavy or sophisticated.
Should a good quality pair complete with deep cut water shedding tread, soft silicon rubber insoles and steel reinforced straps be any more expensive per unit of weight? :wink:

With a pair of thongs weighing in at a few hundreds of grams and much less than a kilo in weight, does $5 a pair for the very best represent the real value or fair price?

4 Likes