Thin Lizzy - is TV advertising of products correct?

I’ve got a question regarding companies advertising a product on tv but when you go to their website and click on the product, it’s not what is advertised on TV. I have sent them an email and commented on other reviews, but they haven’t answered. Where do we as a consumer stand on this one?

5 Likes

Could you advise the name of the advertiser?

4 Likes

Thin Lizzy - they sell makeup & beauty products

5 Likes

Thin Lizzy certainly have a mixed bag of reviews of their various products on Product Review, which range from 1 star to 5 stars.

https://www.productreview.com.au/search.html?search=Thin+Lizzy&sa=

Thin Lizzy even post negative as well as positive reviews on their own website.

What was the TV offer and what was shown on their website when you looked for the offer?

3 Likes

Flawless Complexion Liquid Foundation, showing in a glass bottle including a blurring brush and blending sponge plus a makeup advice book. When you search the product it takes you to their website but only shows the tube as you have shown above

4 Likes

this is being advertised on tv, as of last night, but not what is being advertised on their page

4 Likes

Clicking through their product buttons that don’t seem to match the products except in text, the product is shown in a video and the accompanying text states “This medium to full coverage foundation is easy to apply with the perfectly designed Blurring Brush and Blending Sponge.” although there is no reference to a makeup advice booklet I can see.

This is more likely a poorly managed web site than an attempt to be dodgy, and too many local so-called e-commerce sites do not respond to email or their web contact forms from incompetence, systems problems, or whatever.

Since there is a 1800 477 777 free phone number prominently shown on the web site, have you tried ringing them to discuss?

6 Likes

Thanks for highlighting the reviews @Fred123 and for the advice @PhilT.

It would be a pretty clear example of a ‘bait and switch’ in my opinion if the kit as seen in the below ad does not include a ‘Blurring Brush’ and ‘Blending Sponge’. The offer also promises that you can ‘buy one, get one free’. I’ve saved a copy of the page below and the ad for reference that I’ll pass on to our investigations team.

If you do call them on the number above, take note that there are claims that once you order, they automatically send you more in three months, and beware of any upselling or pushy salespeople. If you’re really keen to get this particular product, one option could be to visit Big W instead:

Hope that helps and please let us know how you go.

7 Likes

have tried calling and emailing, but no response. A bad review from another consumer on their site mentioned more products in three months, but it didn’t happen. I’ve checked Big W, but they only have limited stock

5 Likes

It appears you have quite a few red flags about this company and still seem bent on proceeding, eyes wide open. FWIW a poorly operated business is not subject to requirements they become a well operated business, or to any oversight as long as their dealings are not illegal or contrary to the Australian Consumer Law.

The chances a poorly operated business will improve are slim. Considering how many like products are on the market, all with their own claims, you might be best served to look for alternatives.

7 Likes

Clicking through the google hits all go to the same Thin Lizzy page. Without knowing the currency of the TV ad it is not always reliable to accept the summary text google provides as current. It could be days or weeks out of date. The 800 number attached to your screen snip is also different from that on the web site. Regardless, it seems a curious business, to say the least.

7 Likes

Agreed, I didn’t realise the discrepancy in the number either. Caveat emptor

6 Likes