Theracare - Sleep Sophie adjustable bed sales tactics

CHOICE is looking into a Gold Coast business, Theracare, whose sales tactics regarding Sophie adjustable beds appear to be very similar to those we called out in our Revitalife investigation (Electric bed retailer Revitalife using 'sleep survey' as sales tool | CHOICE). In essence, sales people pose as health professionals. There are historical links between the three companies. Have you or any one you know received a call or visit from Theracare?

7 Likes

I donā€™t have any experience with Theracare, but this thread and the accompanying article are very interesting to me as they mirror experiences Iā€™ve had with other adjustable bed sales companies based in QLD.

One, Solace Sleep, took a comprehensive interview over the phone to try to best ā€œmatchā€ me with a bed. It was clear the salesperson knew nothing about disability/chronic illness (didnā€™t know my disease, used outdated terminology), and I found the questions highly invasive. At the end of the phone call, he recommended me their most expensive bed with features I did not need, despite me clearly stating I only required a basic model.

After this, I received a flurry of phone calls and emails from this salesperson, trying to sell me the bed. The items were so expensive and his tactics so blatant that I decided not to purchase one.

Out of interest, I was browsing AliBaba (or AliExpress?) and found exact matches for their adjustable beds for sale (sorry, I couldnā€™t provide a link now, this was several months ago).

I ended up purchasing from another company who mentioned they had to ship the bed from their supplier in QLD (I am in VIC). I wondered if there was a direct importer up there, working with various companies with very similar business models.

Just speculation but Iā€™m truly shocked by how much your article reflected my experiences trying to buy an adjustable bed.

8 Likes

Thanks very much for the response and the information. There does seem to be some kind of adjustable bed racket based in QLD, with different businesses trying the same sales tactics. Weā€™ll keep this on file as we continue investigate. Thanks.

5 Likes

A very elderly relative had a cold call from Theracare in Canberra last week. A lady visited and my relative who thought that her aged care provider had sent her to do one of their regular surveys of clients. She was signed up to buy a bed although she is unable to read the small print in the contract. I found out when she asked me to read it to her.
Fortunately I found out within the ten business days cooling off period and cancelled the contract. No deposit was paid as far a I am aware but the contract could only be cancelled by signing, scanning and emailing a document. As my relative has no computer or computer skills we had to do this for her.
I have tried to determine why she was cold called by this company. I get many cold callers trying to sell all sorts of things but have never had a call from Theracare so she seems to have been targeted in some way.

8 Likes

Thanks for this information, Lorraine 22. Very helpful.

3 Likes

Revitalife use the same practices. I got stitched up with a bed which was double the price of one at Beds R us & itā€™s absolute rubbish with just a thin latex mattress. No springs or coils. Iā€™m more wary now.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. Weā€™ve published a story on this issue now: https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/bedroom/mattresses/articles/theracare-sales-tactics

3 Likes

Am in the process of taking Theracare Home - Sleep Sophie to the Magistrates Court in Perth as I am outraged at their practices which are the same as I have read in the above replies. I only wish I had read the above information before purchasing the therapeutic adjustable bed for $5,725. Something that hasnā€™t been mentioned is that Theracare give you 10 business days to cancel your order, but do not deliver the bed until the 11th dayā€¦at no time was I given the opportunity to try out the bed. Theracare totally refused to refund my money after only 3 days (bed delivered on Friday and I had to wait till Monday to contact them).

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story lorkay.

3 Likes

My husband and I had a lengthy conversation with a Theracare rep on Tuesday, thinking the ā€˜healthā€™ appointment might offer us advice on possible adjustments that could be made to our old Queenslander house as we age.
After 90 minutes it became clear that the manā€™s aim was just to sell us the Sophia adjustable bed at around $9,000ā€¦We were very disappointed at the misleading representation and he wasnā€™t happy with our refusal to commit and called his boss in front of us. The following day we received another cold call that enquired about our health and well being.
Weā€™re very thankful that no commitment was made and think that for this company to meet with single elderly people is totally unscrupulous.
Thank you Choice Community for giving us this opportunity to air our feelings.

3 Likes

Thanks very much for sharing your story with us ā€˜opallā€™. We will keep this on file.

1 Like

Hi,
Ive just been speaking to my 81-year old mother who was visited by a Theracare ā€œHealth consultantā€ today. The stories on this site resonate with me. When they initially contacted my mother last year I looked up their website and they advertised themselves as performing health assessments to assess needs of senior Australians with health and mobility issues. I looked up the site again today and note that their site has been re-worded now.
The sales consultant, who turned up in a Mercedes Benz, instantly started asking questions about my mothers sleeping habits and was very interested in the lounge suite my mother had just purchased and seemed disappointed that the suite was new and therefore unable to sell my mother one of theirs! The consultant had no interest in my mothers overall health needs and launched into her sales pitch within the first half an hour.
She mentioned NDIS and My Aged Care numerous times to imply that their affiliations were reputable. The woman was not wearing a mask however, which I found astonishing given they were an organisation with apparent government health systems affiliations in the middle of a Pandemic where mask wearing in healthcare is still mandated. I know because I am a Registered Nurse who works in community home care. It is just unethical as all of their clients would fit into the elderly and vulnerable population group during what is still considered a Pandemic. Yet no masks?
Please continue to investigate this dodgy and unscrupulous organisation.

3 Likes

Hi,
Theracare, trading as Inhome Assist Australia, contacted my farther stating he had completed a health survey 12 months ago and they would like to see him to follow up.

I was with him when the rep showed up and where she was from. She said In home assist. I asked if that was anything to do with My Aged Care and she said she worked with My Aged Care to make sure we are getting the correct services.

She then asked what level Dad was on, and what services was he was getting. She continued on to say we should be taking up all the services offered. Then she pulled out a form and proceed to ask very personal details about Dadā€™s health. ie Heart problems, High Blood pressure, Defibrillator etc.

After 1.5 hours she started the sales pitch for the Sophie bed, a TGA approved medical device according to her. 2 hours passed and then she wanted Dad to do a voice recording apparently to show that she had seen us.

I said we will not be doing a voice recording.

I am very annoyed this woman gained entry to our home pretending to be aligned with My Aged Care and asked so many personal medical questions, plus wasting our time.