The "Never Never Broadband Network" - NBN complaints

Some CSIRO and university researchers move a TB every few days. 10-20 years ago they made tapes/portable discs and sent them by couriers because it was faster and cheaper than trying to use the networks available at the time. It is amazing our backward looking government is not touting a reversion to that ‘network’ since it is even cheaper than their MTM and even less suited to modern needs. Today those researchers generally use AARnet3 (?) and they have numerous faster portals than are available to the general community.

7 Likes

But the 23 TB was according to NBN Co a residential end user so I don’t think CSIRO or similar are what are considered “Residential” users and they were talking only about downloads (an absolutely huge amount in that scenario…they equated the data to 5,000 DVDs). But yes more data can be moved a day and the MTM is unable to keep pace with the growth or even at this point achieve many of those rates of transfer. Inferior on so many counts and still being sold to us as the next best thing to nirvana digitally.

5 Likes

The solution has been around since last century. Don’t tell Malcolm.

7 Likes

Hehe. Reminds me that I coded our work platforms, when visited by anything I don’t like, to block them and henceforth reply to all their requests with a 418 I’m a Teapot response.

Another awesome 1 April joke by them:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2324

5 Likes

It is still (far) quicker for very large data-sets, and depending on your ‘courier’ selection, can be infinitely more secure :wink:

… tanks being marched past an observation point with large 1’s and 0’s painted on the turret rings a bell for reliable transport … where would we be without a sense of humour !!

6 Likes

I agree @Drop_Bear.

Interesting the way the report is worded. They talk about end user premises, but that includes everyone including businesses doesn’t it? So they have included everything from very large commercial enterprises down to grandma and/or grandpa Kettle’s home.

just 14 per cent of end-user premises accounted for 50 per cent of total traffic across all nbn™ access network technologies.” Are these the commercial premises, and the outlier private users?

But blowing all of those away was Australia’s biggest downloader for April: a residential end-user premises on a 100/40Mbps retail plan who consumed a whopping 23.59TB of data in just one month. To put this in perspective, that is the equivalent of downloading about 5000 DVDs!” This level of usage is extraordinary, and it may be for example an IT business run from a residential property @grahroll .

a minority of end users (just six per cent) were responsible for 50 per cent of uploads for April, with the largest uploader of the month sending more than 14TB out from their premises.” Same comment as for downloads.

Fixed Line technology choice is not having a great impact on end-user demand today, but that we must continue to ensure flexibility in the capacity management of the network to meet the demands of the future.” In plain English: people want to access the content they want on the internet regardless of what the NBN technology they are provided. Surprised? NO!

Remember the quote: Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Well this is a case of meaningless statistics gathered just to show what NBN want.

5 Likes

Using some of those questionable categorisations, would the cited stats include the myriad ‘content providers’ such as the Bureau of Meteorology? If so, what could be said about the debate as it is being framed?

4 Likes

When government proves less worthwhile than your average doorstop, do it yourself.

8 Likes

Wamboin is a project of SmartFarmNet.

5 Likes

The silly thing is it used to be that the Govt, in the form of Telstra (or Telecom), was supposed to provide a landline. Even now, according to the ACMA “You are entitled to have reasonable and equitable access to a standard telephone service and payphones, regardless of where you live or carry on business.”

So where is our “reasonable and equitable access to a standard telephone service”?

5 Likes

No argument with you on that as I expressed above it maybe a home based business. It is regardless a huge amount of data over even a 100/40 connection. Knowing what our usage is comprised of and our typical line speeds etc I can only speculate that it must be running close to 24/7 a day to achieve that download figure. No one I know (including my somewhat insomniac self) can maintain that level of awake activity so I think it must be some sort of portal whether a Tor node/exit, a VPN circuit, a pirate box or a business e-shop or some similar 24 hour a day operation. It still begs the question how they are getting past fair use policies with that sort of traffic considering the RSP CVC throttling we all experience.

4 Likes

The new USO called the USG is now framed around universal Broadband access not Telephones so the USO obligations Telstra were forced to keep have been curtailed, not stringently enforced, and why Telstra are partly able to cut so many personnel as they announced recently. The USG comes into force in 2020 but as people are moved onto the NBN and their copper Telephone service is cut they are offered VOIP or if they are Fixed Wireless or Satellite they can keep their copper service. Telstra are no longer made to sling a copper line to your premises with these emerging changes. The requirement still exists but VOIP is made available in replacement even if it doesn’t work in certain circumstances eg power failure.

With this change also comes the demise of the CSG which has been discussed in another section of this forum.

5 Likes

Ah… acronymia (a bureaucratic disorder characterised by putting letters together to form important sounding words)… USO, USG, CSG… no wonder it’s so easy to get lost :wink: You’d think the Govt would update their information then… I’m looking at https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Phones/Landlines/Phone-connection-and-repair/acma---your-rights-to-a-telephone-service-fact-sheet-1

4 Likes

Mother dearest just had the NBN crew do her premises external install. HFC it is- overhead.

Adjacent to her driveway is the Stobie Pole which delivers power and PSTN (still) to her house an the next door neighbour - its essentially right on the boundary. In the neighbours case, they have hung it from the Stobie Pole to a post on their fascia, near the other services - from whence it travels under the eaves and down the wall to the termination box. As you’d expect.

Same on Mums house. No, apparently not. They could have run it exactly the same way as the neighbour, next to the other services - there’s plenty of room. Instead they have run it down the pole, cut the concrete driveway and trenched the full 25 metre width of the block to the far side, then under the footpath and trenched the garden bed up the other side fence to the concrete path where it enters conduit “nailed” to the boundary concrete edging all the way to the back wall of the house where it ascends the rear verandah, crosses a gate then travels back along the house wall and down to the termination box mounted on the house wall - diagonally opposite all other service entry points (including water and sewer for the sake of the argument, but they are of course underground anyway).

Apparently she told them she wanted to be able to still back the car out of the driveway. Perhaps a tiny termination box mounted at head height they thought was an obstacle, but for the life of me I can’t see how even my mother could hit that with the car (and she’s pretty good at taking things out …).

Other than that, I have no words. Maybe there is some strange rule they had to follow … beats me …

5 Likes

Could be a garage based fledgling ISP/RSP like iiNet once was?

4 Likes

Yep for sure but they would really be breaking most of the RSP (Retail Service Provider) terms I have been reading, most would call that reselling of the service a breach. But what the RSP doesn’t know doesn’t hurt, and it might be a case of cost sharing the connection to adjacent properties who either can’t get the connection or don’t want the actual hardware installed.

It might be what I once suggested might be possible for @gordon ie an NBN connection that is then sent by Wireless/Wifi to a community that cannot get anything other than poor Fixed Wireless or even worse satellite. That is a more likely scenario with Ubiquiti and other wifi hardware providers systems being quite capable for 25 to 60 km ranges with very high throughput and low latency and at relatively very low cost. I thought about the man with the $1.2 million quote and wondered why he didn’t just choose this option but couldn’t find his contact details to send him that recommendation. If he spent about $10,000 he could have a GB (if not a multi GB capable) wireless system which he could then resell onto all his neighbours unless there was too much line of sight obstruction.

I think Choice should become an RSP offering this alternative to all those who suffer from poor NBN Co and large RSP interest in solving their issues :grinning: (ok maybe not a serious request BUT…). An RSP, not for profit (well ok a little profit), with a very good ethical background, with a commitment to consumers and upholding good corporate adherence to legislation and excellent corporate governance…I ask you seriously what more could be desired?

5 Likes

Having been around the UK for a few weeks it looks like we might be getting ‘graduates’ from their networking services. Accepting there are a lot of Very Old Buildings everywhere the ‘quality’ of cabling (internet and telco related) was mind bending.

Cabling was often not even fixed to walls but strewn across roofs, eves, and gutters and dropped down the exterior walls helter skelter from A to B. Junction boxes were often hanging lose by the wiring in areas where the real estate pricing looked low to moderate. In the better neighbourhoods the boxes were affixed to the walls.

In those upper class areas such as Belgravia, Kensington, etc, one could not see an errant or any bit of anything telco related on the street side, but what was installed on the rears? (What might one expect for an average price of $GBP17 million for an apartment, albeit a really nice large apartment?)

One might argue @draughtrider’s mum got a free bonus that will someday increase her property value by $0.05 by reducing the overhead clutter to her views of the neighbouring pole by 1! Or reducing the chance of her internet going out because of a storm inflicted broken cable on the last few metres to her house. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

That would be both wonderful and incredible :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It looks like that project will provide up to the 1 Gbps within the FarmNet, but only 100 Mbps to off net. They are touting fibre on net, but reality is any network is only as fast as its slowest part.

Do you know if they are intending to build/replicate their own national (and thus international) back-haul infrastructure, contract it from Telstra/Optus/NBN, emulate AARNet, or what?

5 Likes

In situations like that, it’s usual to mirror commonly-accessed information. That reduces the load otside their network.

They aren’t a huge operation, so I doubt they’d be building national infrastructure. You could ask on their facebook page, facebook messenger or email.

5 Likes