The "Never Never Broadband Network" - NBN complaints

Hi @ScottOKeefe ,

It’s really just not good enough from our governments that the NNBN has become such a political issue that it seems the end game has been lost, the focus should be building Australia the best future proof broadband network, as Paul Budde recently wrote Australia is taking a winding and tortured road to providing faster DSL services to our nation, you can read the full story here.

We’ll I’ve got a bit of an update on my situation, I tried signing up for a WiMax service through a Perth provider called Red Broadband. The were very helpful but due again to my location I’ve been unable to secure this form of broadband as there is some trees in the way. I think I’ve really now covered all the bases in my attempts to improve my families DSL service above its current rubbish status. If anyone in the Perth reads this maybe give Red Broadband a try as they appear to be a small company that’s growing quickly and maybe able to help you.

Regards.

John

1 Like

@johngilberts, if you’re going for a repeater, then don’t buy one on eBay. Reasons are outlined here on BIRRR. These units transmit on licensed spectrum which, in the absence of appropriate permits, can earn hefty penalties. Cheap ones from eBay have also been known to cause interference on the network.

1 Like

We were fortunate enough to find a rental property to move into that’s in one of the few areas that actually have fibre to the premises. The house we left had a perfectly good ADSL line and we put it to good use. We had a bit of trouble after we moved into the NBN zone though.

Firstly, because the area was flagged as NBN ready, we couldn’t simply port our ADSL account over, which was a problem because our house wasn’t actually connected to the NBN fibres that lived out under the footpath across the road from us.

Secondly, getting the house connected to the NBN fibres that lived out under the footpath across the road from us took a good 2 months of blunders from both NBN Co and Telstra, so in all that time we had no home phone and no Internet connection whatsoever.

We were originally hoping to go with Optus because they had a better value plan that we liked. So after contacting them, they organised a date for the NBN Co contractors to come out and connect us up. Problem was, there were no contractors available for at least two weeks. So we had to wait, with no phone or Internet, even though there was a fully functioning old phone jack on the wall that produced a dial tone, but which was connected to the old copper network, so we weren’t allowed to utilise it.

A couple of days before the big day we got a message from NBN Co that there was a shortfall and a team would need to investigate, which would again take a couple of weeks before anyone could come out to look at it again. Optus told us that they couldn’t do anything to help us without the house being connected and said we’d have to contact Telstra because they’re the only telco that actually have technicians in our area, so we had to sign on with them for a more expensive 2 year contract in order to get the ball rolling so we could get the cables attached to our house.

After many weeks of delays and remade appointments we eventually got someone out who discovered that we weren’t connected to the optic fibres out in the street, which is what we kept telling them because there was no box attached to the house.

More delays and cancelled appointments happened and finally an NBN Co contractor arrived with vast quantities of fibre optic cables to connect us to the outside world… except, he didn’t have permission to climb the poles in our long driveway so he could attach the cables to them. Apparently they were owned by Telstra and NBN Co would need to make a formal request to use them… even though it was Telstra that had told them to do the work in the first place.

Anyways, we now have super fast NBN speeds at a higher than wanted cost, but it’s just as well because on Friday last week we awoke to a red light on the NBN box saying that the optic cable was no longer providing a signal and Optus probably would’ve just thrown their arms up in the air saying they didn’t know what to do again.

We contacted Telstra who organised for NBN Co to arrive the following Monday, so we had no home phone or Internet over the weekend. Monday morning an NBN Co contractor arrived and discovered that our personal optic fibre wire was somehow exposed from the pit it lives in across the road from our house and had been severed, probably from a lawnmower or whipper snipper. They suspect the last person doing maintenance in the pit forgot to clean up after himself and didn’t tuck our wire away when he put the lid back on the thing. So the NBN Co contractor that originally climbed our Telstra owned poles had to come around that afternoon, and climb them again, in gale force winds, to replace the entire cable which runs along 5 power poles in order to get from the pit across the road, to our house along our extended driveway.

All working again now. It was a journey to get it in the first place, and is quite vulnerable if the maintenance people don’t pay attention when they’re packing up, but we’re very happy with it for the most part.

2 Likes

Don’t know where you live - but, our town is in the process of being connected to ‘nodes’. Many ADSL users are not too happy as wires get moved and connections are lost; I plan to wait till the last minute - till I HAVE to move from my sufficient ADSL service to the new NBN.

Hi Shane, thanks for your comments on NBN Satellite. Has anything changed or do you have anything to add in the 3 months since your last post?

We have a house on the south coast of WA and plan to move there in the next year or two. Our little valley is 6 km from the nearest town so no cable. According to the NBN lookup page our neighbours all have access to NBN wireless but we can only get satellite. Our house is tucked up under a big hill or small mountain and presumably we don’t have line-of-sight to the local transmitter.

My understanding is that NBN satellite plans are a bit cheaper but the download limits are a lot less than for NBN wireless or cable. E.g. Westnet’s premium satellite plan only offers 40 GB peak and 80 GB offpeak per month. And if download speeds will suffer as more users hook into the satellite and whenever it rains (which is most of the time, down there), it sounds hardly much better than current ADSL.

Am I reading this wrong?

Cheers,
Stuart

ATM, download speeds are up to the advertised 25Mbps some of the time, but with such a long ping time, page loading is not any faster, and sometimes slower than with Optus wireless “broadband”.
I can confirm that heavy rain (rate >50mm/hr), as we often get in thunderstorms, means no internet, but light rain (rate <10mm/hr) doesn’t appear to affect connection speed.

To find out if the nbn™ network is or when it is likely to be available at your home or business:

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html

1 Like

When you offer feedback on their site by saying No to the “Did I find what I was looking for” they then say “We are sorry to hear that. If you have the time, please let us know what you think we can do to improve this page.” It then requires some fields filled in before it will allow you to submit the No response.

If you answer Yes it immediately sends the response without any further input from the user. No wonder they get a lot of positive responses.

3 Likes

I am not sure the NBNCo has a clue about their claims. That web site returns that my address is slated for NBN this quarter via HFC. All the utilities are underground. No poles to be seen excepting street lights. About 1/4 of the homes here never had cable running to them. The driveways and construction would make running cable pretty difficult or worse.

A few months ago Telstra was working on the street and we were told it would be FTTN, and that made sense, so I questioned HFC and told them about the local issues. NBNCo told me confidently that the HFC could be installed overhead. Sure it can, hanging from balloons or birds-in-flight, or from newly installed (unapproved and prohibited by local restrictions) phone poles.

3 Likes

After checking, it asked if I wanted to register now for updates. I started to fill in the form and was fine when it asked for my email address (the only field visible). Again that was fine but once I put that in, the screen refreshed and started asking for personal details. It this point I bailed.

I see no reason for them to collect any personal details, and I got the impression (didn’t check) that they would just continue to elicit more and more unnecessary personal information. I don’t like this sort of unnecessary & intrusive data casting.

Big black mark NBN Co.!

Thanks Phil. Interesting.

When I checked maybe August, NBN indicated there were no plans for my area, which I thought was great! When I checked before posting, it now indicates Jan-June 2018 with a HCF connection.

I am just hoping it will take MUCH longer so we get FTTP instead because with the heavy rainfall & strong winds we get any copper based solution is fraught with problems.

1 Like

My estate does not get NBN for another year, but as a result of a major fail with my current telco provider I was “window shopping” alternatives and for curiosity looking at the NBN offerings currently in place.

The first unexpected “feature” is that the vast majority of NBN plans are 12Mbps for the same price or more than 24Mbps ADSL2+ plans, like for like with the other features. My ADSL connects at 11Mbps and delivers about 9 honest throughput. It appears all NBN telephony is VOIP, not suitable for all uses (critical medical needs, alarm dialers, and fax machines that soldier on, as some obvious ones). A few telcos require giving up the Consumer Service Guarantee for phone users if they provide NBN service.

I have read the horror stories of people being switched over. It looks like less costs more and they essentially disclaim reliability.

(sarcasm font) Am I missing how good this is going to be? (/sarcasm font)

2 Likes

Let me tell you how good it can be! Its all in the NBN advertising, if you believe that sort of marketing hype! :wink:
How it is in real life is another matter. We are way out of town, so cable or fixed wireless were not available, and we were desperate to get off the very unreliable Optus wireless “broadband”, so I signed up for NBN LTS (long term satellite) in early June, and was told 6 weeks waiting list, which turned out to be an almost 5 months wait.
It was installed on Thursday, and despite speedtest.net showing download speeds between 8Mbps (friday night) and 25Mbps at best (24 right now, uploads have been between 1 and 4Mbps)), the ping time is always 640-750ms, no doubt due to the distance of the satellite. Pages still take a long time to load, there are more page wont load errors now than with Optus, and every time I send an email I get some weird error about an incorrect greeting, and have to attempt to send up to 5 times before it will go, be it 2 lines of text, or 2Mb of images.
I tried to view a vimeo link about the new Tesla battery on the weekend, but I could never get it to load more than 12 seconds of it. I tried one youtoob video, it had plenty of buffering pauses and blurry image sections. SBS Ondemand and ABC iview do show a bit of improvement, but still have a few pauses and blurry sections (SBS indicates 338kbps download speed when it is blurry).

At least it is costing $25/month less than with Optus! I went for the 25Mbps download speed, which costs $10/month more than the 12Mbps plan.

Overall I am somewhat less than whelmed by nbn!

2 Likes

Whether you think it’s worth changing over or not, after the NBN has been rolled out in your area, the old cable service will be disconnected about 18 months later even if you haven’t switched over to the new service, so you’ll eventually have to switch anyway. I’d recommend starting the ball rolling as soon as possible after the NBN is switched on in your street because it can take months before the house itself gets wired up by NBN Co contractors. It took a good 3 to 4 months before we had any kind of phone/internet service when we moved into this house because it was in an NBN activated zone, but the house had never actually been connected to the cables buried under the footpath in the street. Because it was in an NBN active zone we weren’t allowed to use the old copper wires, which still produced a dial tone.

As for emergency services and the likes, NBN Co will install a battery backup if you need one. Not sure if it costs anything to install or not, They assume that most people have access to a mobile phone nowadays and can reach emergency services via those instead.

2 Likes

It is not just the battery, it is the lack of a dial tone for the millions of phones and auto-dialers in the field that expect them as well as their (in)compatibility with VOIP without an adapter in-line. Then there is the reliability question.

Our estate is all undergound utilities, many homes do not have cable running by them nor can it be installed without serious works, so the reported “solution” will apparently be FTTN but nobody knows where the node will be. Could be on the street or down the way. Connections to our residences will be good old decaying copper.

My gut feel is BOHICA :open_mouth:

2 Likes

NBN FTTN came to Belmont NSW in the middle of 2015 as a pilot scheme for selected residences which lasted for about three months before it became available to the wider Belmont community in October 2015. Not wanting to be a test dummy, I thought it wise to wait a few months before committing to the NBN. My telephone and internet were both cut off on Christmas Eve, leaving me without either service for three weeks until finally both became active. I signed up with Exetel for the top speed bracket of 100/40 Mbps for an affordable $69 per month. All went well for a few days and then I started to experience dropouts and/or low speeds. Eventually, it was decided that my modem was faulty and had it exchanged for a new one. All went well for a couple of weeks before reverting to dropouts and/or low speeds. At the beginning of August I decided to keep a diary of the times when my NBN was on and whenever it went off. In the meantime I was continually in touch with Exetel who I found very good to deal with. More troubleshooting produced no solution. Once again the finger was pointed to the modem and, and after updating the firmware and the problems continuing, I was advised to replace it. However I found that the modem operated perfectly at other addresses, so I ruled that out. By this time, over a period of ten weeks I had four different NBN technicians come to my house to attempt a fix. Corroded connections were replaced in service pits. I was given a different port. The primary socket was replaced in my house. Still no solution. The fourth technician, a very experienced man from Telstra, worked with me in tracing my line backwards from the house to the green node cabinet. Amazingly a fault in the line was traced 110 metres from my house socket. This turned out to be exactly under a concrete driveway four houses away, which had been dug up and replaced at about the same time that my troubles had begun. It appears that the backhoe had disturbed the cable, resulting in the intermittent drop outs and slow speeds as the ground moved under the driveway. The solution was to bypass this fault by assigning me to a different twisted pair. Since this was done, I have experienced no dropouts and my speed has been a consistent 94/35 Mbps without fail. With good logic and working as a team with an experienced technician who is prepared to work with you, just about anything can be achieved. Just a pity that it all took so long.

2 Likes

Well I finally got fixed-wireless NBN a couple of months ago and I have gone from 3MB/s to 21MB/s, I now have unlimited downloads and it costs me $30 a month less than before so, at this point, I am happy

2 Likes

We have had the NBN fibre to the house since February 2015 as we were one of the first areas of Brisbane to receive it.

We are with Optus on an inclusive contract of phone and internet with an upgrade for the extra fast service. It costs $110/month for everything including overseas and calls to mobiles and unlimited internet.

Our internet speeds are about 95 Mbps for downloads and 38.19 Mbps for uploads.

1 Like

Being in rural Tasmania (15 mins out of Launceston ). We have been on nbn now for 6mths. We are one of the first towns that have copper to the node and then wireless to us. Paying more for less and no better or faster service. What a waste of money. When living in Brisbane wr had cable and it was the best ever. Seems like we have gone backwards in service.

At the moment after moving from adsl 2 to an address that only had mobile broadband we are going to stick with it for now because I have heard so many mixed reviews and because we are now with optus and they can’t guarantee the service because its running through telstra. I had enough problems with telstra by themselves! I get 200gb for $60 because I have my phone with them too and I can top it up with $10 for 10gb. They recently told me there were now ports available in my area now but due to the same reason and because it was going to be $100 for unlimited and over $100 or more in set up costs plus could take weeks and I would have to switch to NBN and drop outs are so bad it just doesn’t seem worth it.

1 Like