CHOICE membership

The "Never Never Broadband Network" - NBN complaints

failure
problem
nbn

I’ll pass on your suggestion @grahroll. Our friends at ACCAN have provided some counterbalance:

"The significant increase in complaints to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (41% in
2016/2017), specifically complaints about the NBN (159% in 2016/2017), and the fact that the top
issues are connection delays and unusable services, demonstrates that the current arrangements are
not working "

Thank you for the link to ACCAN’s response. I have not yet made a thorough study of it but from my perusal CSG and Priority Assistance still stand out as issues that may not have been adequately addressed.

CSG in many cases is required to be waived to get a NBN connection from providers. I have not collated numbers on who require waivers yet but I will attempt to do so as soon as I can. ACCAN certainly respond to CSG concerns when an RSP provides it but (and I may have to correct this on deeper study) have not addressed the propensity for RSPs to require waivers and thus not offer any CSG to their clients.

The Govt response does make a statement about these waivers “A number of retail providers ask their customers to waive the CSG. In these circumstances, it would be inappropriate for rebates or compensation to be paid to retail providers unless effective pass-through mechanisms were in place to ensure payments flowed through to end-users. The ACCC does not have the appropriate regulatory powers to deliver this, which underscores the need to consider service standards across the whole chain of delivery.”. Of course the desire behind this is to limit the cost to the NBN when it fails to deliver to a service standard, ie if the RSP requires waiver of GSG by it’s customers then nbn Co will not compensate an RSP when it fails to meet a standard under it’s WBA3. It also acknowledges the ACCC is powerless in reality to require RSPs to remove these waiver conditions. I see this as an abhorrent situation for consumers.

This desire to reduce or remove compensation to RSPs who have waiver conditions will further impact consumers as the nbn Co will have no real incentive to fix any fault that is affecting that RSP. So what is needed is that CSG, or whatever incarnation it will take under the NBN must be set as a universal right for any consumer and the ability to have waivers should be withdrawn in light of that universal right.

This somewhat flows on to Priority Assistance (PA), in that if a waiver is in place there is no penalty for un-timely repairs/reconnections or alternate service provision if a NBN service fails. Also almost no RSP has any requirement/obligation anyway to provide a PA under the current legacy system and this has on-flowed to the NBN. Optus have removed their PA type service and I see this as them using the changeover to the NBN as a reason, impetus, or incentive to do so. In some ways you can’t blame them as now most faults will occur due to failures of the NBN infrastructure over which no RSP has any real power to rectify.

This problem of fixes to faults is also impacted by the " below 90% service standard" rule which means an individual could have no service but an RSP may receive no compensation and the nbn Co would have no incentive to fix a fault because the NBN service provision to the RSP overall is above that 90%. Why then would an RSP, unless legislatively required to do so, provide either a PA service or a CSG to their customers.

Anyway I think I need to let the information percolate a bit more before I add to my diatribe.

I believe this is saying that if ACCC stirs the pot too much, the NBN won’t meet the Government’s stated timeline. How embarrassing that would be!

We currently have a fixed IP and Priority Assistance. Moving to the NBN we want to maintain them. (On ADSL we haven’t pay any fee for either.)

Attached is a reply from Aussie Broadband in relation to this:
"Unfortunately we do not offer priority assistance here at Aussie Broadband. If you wish to maintain the priority line you will need to look in to another provider.

In regards to the static IP address it is $10 extra a month and it can not be waived sorry."

I have searched for other RSPs who do fixed IP addresses, but it seems to be viewed as a business thing you have to pay for, and not a residential necessity. Also, CSG seems to be on the endangered species list.

How utterly infuriating. These despicable Liebs & Nuts lied through their teeth about NBN prior to taking office, & have continued lying ever since. They seriously & relentlessly attacked all industry experts & groups who had the knowledge & integrity to publicly debunk their lies. They have steadfastly mischaracterised the raison d’etre for proper fast broadband, & comprehensively ignored the truth that high upload speeds are equally integral if true viable longterm population decentralisation [ie, real nation-building] were to be facilitated. Genuine widely distributed all-nation eHealth, eEducation, eBusiness is defeated by a fraudband implementation with high latency & inadequate upload speeds.

These people are deplorable.

Have you tried https://www.ant.com.au/
Fixed IP addy was listed as an extra cost when I first investigated, but it appears that I do have one. However, I don’t know if that is related to sky muster satellite or not.

So far I have only Telstra who will give you a CSG.

TPG (and their associated entities eg iiNet) do not

Belong do not

Our Republic do not

Optus do not appear to (this may not be correct but I will attempt to clarify) I spoke to a Sales Staff member and their answer was CSG was waived. I may need to email them to get a better clarification.

Mate & Barefoot do not

Voipex do not

Vocus Group members eg engin, dodo, iprimus do not iPrimus clarified that CSG is waived on NBN & VOIP plans “Please be advised that the Customer Service Guarantee (CSG) only covers standard fixed-line or copper home phone service. For NBN and VOIP services, the Customer Service Guarantee (CSG) is required to be waived.”

Infinity Broadband do not

AAPT and those using it’s services appear not to (subject to clarification)

1300easyisp do not

Ace Internet Services Pty Ltd appear not to

Only service with PA is Telstra as far as I can ascertain.

You may be able to also arrange a fixed IP with them but if not I suggest if you need an always reachable address to try a dynamic DNS service (DDNS or Dyn DNS) such as these free to use ones duckDNS, afraid.org AKA FreeDNS, No-IP, DNSDynamic, Dynu, DtDNS, entryDNS requires a once off US$10 fee but is free thereafter.

Hope the above helps and I do use one of the above DDNS services myself.

I checked Telstra’s web site and they do offer a static ip address for ADSL (but it may now be available for the NBN) for $10 per month. You would need to confirm that it is NBN available with them.

Please enlighten me, what is the benefit of a fixed IP address?

Thanks for the suggestion @gordon.

I had a search in the NBN section, but alas the cupboard was bare. There is no mention of fixed IP on the fibre based NBN.

When talking about a static IP address, we are talking about outside your premises. That is your modem’s external address. ISPs (& I guess RSPs do the same) had a range of IP numbers allocated to them, and each time you logged into them, you were allocated the next available IP address. When you logged out, that number went back into their IP address pool. This meant that potentially each time you logged in you had a different IP address.

Most users don’t need static IP addresses. With dynamic IP addresses when you sent out a request (for example for a web page), the IP address went with it, and all replies came back to that address.

When it is necessary to log into your home or business remotely generally there is no way of knowing what the address might be with a dynamic IP address.

Static IP address are generally required for a web server, gaming, torrent management, VPN, or home based equipment such as IoT (Internet of Things), and security cameras.

Here is a link which explains some of it: Lifewire - Working With Static Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

So in a nutshell if you want to initiate a link to the outside world your address can be dynamic because you broadcast the value it is now and so can get a return to that temporary address but if you want to initiate the link from the outside you have to know the address of the target of whatever you are sending in advance so it has to be static. Correct?

Yes that is spot on.

Thanks for the dynamic DNS service tip. :slight_smile: Based on your experience, which do you recommend please?

I am discovering that ISPs that provided fixed IP on ADSL aren’t providing it as RSPs on the NBN. Telstra seems to be another one that has stopped offering it.

As for the CSG: at Telstra Customer Service Guarantee (CSG) it states the following: “The CSG Standard does not apply to data products …”

Did you find somewhere that explicitly states that Telstra actually offers the CSG on their NBN plans?

It seems like we are being offered a product (NBN) that MAY have better speed, but with less basic features/options, and less obligations than we had previously at a much greater cost to users.

They call their phone service on the NBN their Telstra Voice Standard Services and this will be covered under CSG

“The CSG Standard does not apply to data products (e.g. Telstra’s Digital Data Services), customer premises equipment, customer cabling, payphones, and sophisticated business-oriented services, such as Telstra’s Centel, SiteLines, corporate virtual private networks and similar services. It also does not apply to mobile or satellite services, unless these are used to deliver Universal Service Obligation (USO) telephone services. It also does not apply to activities past the network boundary point (NBP), namely, the first telephone socket, the network termination device (NTD) or the main distribution frame (MDF) where applicable.” In this part please note the NTD reference, which is an integral part of the NBN infrastructure at your home.

Thank you I read all that.

Finally I found a reference to the CSG Telstra Consumer Services on the NBN Within that document, the only reference is:-
“4.7 Unless we advise you otherwise, the Customer Service Guarantee Standard only applies to the fixed standard telephone service and any enhanced call handling features you receive as part of your Telstra Broadband Service.”

I’m quizzical about a number of references here. Is the "fixed standard telephone service’ the same as the Standard Telephone Service referred to by ACMA and Telstra when talking about (in the Universal Service Obligation, and the Customer Service Guarantee) the fixed line PSTN services.

The references to “the enhanced call handling … Telstra Broadband service”. has me perplexed too. It doesn’t specify NBN, merely broadband. So is it absolutely positively referring to the NBN, or is it referring to VOIP over the ADSL broadband?

I don’t know whether I’m just being difficult, but I’m of the view that if it is not explicitly and clearly stated, then there is too much wriggle room, and the CSG will not be adhered to.

Yes it does refer to the NBN. I had a friend who is with Telstra and he received benefits under the CSG when he was not given his FTTP NBN connection as promised. It took about 4 months during which time they gave him 20 GB data top ups as needed so his daughter could study.

I also rang Telstra to confirm this and they confirmed Priority Assistance and CSG are covered by Telstra on the NBN.

As to my DDNS preference I can only suggest you read each one and find the one that suits your needs best. If you are going to load a DDNS service into your router/modem settings then this may help determine the better ones for your needs. The one I currently use is DNSDynamic but I have used afraid and Dynu as well in the past and have been happy with them…

OK brilliant. I have to now decide if I will pursue the CSG with Telstra, or just go for a cheaper NBN RSP and hope the mobile phones continue to work.

I will have a look at the various DNS services you mentioned.

Thank you for your patience with all my questions. I really appreciate your help.

Telstra exposes more of NBN Co’s fixed wireless woes

As it emerges six percent of towers are officially congested.

Telstra has revealed around half of NBN fixed wireless users on 12Mbps and 25Mbps plans see 40 percent or less of the speeds they pay for in the evening peak.

… fixed wireless customers can expect to see a wide range of speeds - as little as 2Mbps - … many users are unlikely to get close to the theoretical capability of their service during the evening peak.