A plebiscite is a poor choice.
If that was how the country worked all the time it is likely 51% of the population would be telling the other 49% how to live. It’s a devisive and not an inclusive solution. What next? A plebiscite to decide whether the nation will all be Protestants or Catholics? I’m neither, not in my lifetime. Most things in life are more complex than simple A or B choices. It’s highly probable the current PM would agree with me too!
What problem are we trying to solve? One suggestion is it is really about the Indue Card being delivered by a pro LNP enterprise. Was the service even tendered? I hope that is not correct?
Given the relatively recent experiences of one of our sons living away from home and with Newstart as his only income the Indue Card would have been near useless. That’s aside from our assistance to help pay for his course. No government funding there!
The whole proposal is intrusive and an invasion of privacy.
To suggest that all recipients of welfare payments need to be managed by government when only some need assistance (and is the card the best solution anyway) is an insult. It devalues every individual forced to use the card.
For any retiree on a part pension it would seem the ultimate in hypocrisy, given those individuals have already demonstrated a large degree of self reliance.
What next? Will the ATO only issue tax refunds to an Indue Card so we don’t spend it all at once on something wasteful like a night out, fruit juice only? Sounds like Thai given there is a 60km drive involved.