The great smart meter rip-off

I suspect @PhilT was referring to whether the powerco had configured it to talk or whether some dude with a clipboad still had to visit the meter box with an HB pencil and mark down the usage …

I’ve heard it suggested that smart meters measure ‘more power’ because they have no mechanical lag for spikes such as motor start/etc (my words) - unsure if this is true but if it is, surely it would favour in terms of export as well.

I felt this was affected by my household and location. I have a tariff that is more expensive 0600-1800 M-F but typically there is nobody home for most of this time so usage is low. My export tariff or feed in tariff is good during that time, and larger than my nighttime and weekend usage tariff. So when the house is empty during the week, they are paying me more than the power costs me at night and weekends - if I went for single tariff, all tariffs would be the same - I’d lose out a noticeable but relatively small amount - but better in my pocket than theirs. Of course each household needs to work this out based on their generation, usage and tariffs …

We’ve been bombarded by all types since the big bang - only the levels vary. Life is a gamble :wink:

2 Likes