The good old days

Am helping a friend at University to correlate the increase in price from the early seventies with wage increases over the same time . I’ll start off with an XB Falcon Ute bought new in 1976 for $5100 . In 1973 my father purchased a new Toyota Corolla for $2450 .Unsure of current Corolla price but I think it may have gone up :slight_smile: My first hunting rifle, purchased in 1974, was a Remington 700Bdl .222 Rem for $110 . Current price $1725 . My first matching set of Competition Shotguns , Trap and skeet guns in case cost me $750 in the middle 1980’s .Current price 9500 pound sterling = $15200 AU. Would really be interested in petrol prices way back then , stamps etc . Anything at all . I have an old receipt for LPG was 4.6 cents a litre early mid 70’s . Anything you remember the price for or have receipts for from the 70,‘s 80’s 90’’ Thank you

One thing you should look at though is the cost of air travel, both locally and international. It is probably one of the things, other than electronics to drastically go down in price over the years.

1 Like

A lot of electronic equipment benefitted from the introduction of the GST as they were originally taxed more than the 10% we now pay. This, plus the price of parts becoming smaller and cheaper to manufacture have made quite an impact on some electronic products. Then you walk into JB Hi Fi and see them selling tv screens that cost more than the price of a new car and think, what the heck?

1 Like

I still have my account book from the 1970’s when I was an impoverished Uni student. I listed everything I purchased - fuel, food, rent, and everything I earned as part time cleaner etc. It is in a deep dark box in another town, if I can get it soon I’ll list some prices. I when I was studying Civil Engineering in the 1990’s I came across a project management subject that obviously hadn’t been updated since the early 1970’s (?). It calculated the full cost of labour at $2.50/hr and fuel at 10 cents a litre. Neither was that low when I kept my account books.

1 Like

I’d start with the ABS. The Consumer Price Index and the Wage Price Index will probably be of interest.

4 Likes

@Drop_Bear Thanks for the links . I’m sure they will help

@zackarii Would be very interested in anything you posted out of that book . Thanks for making the effort

My Husband bought a small Nissan utility second hand in 1974 and it cost $3.00 to fill the tank.
I remember that petrol cost 79c a litre in the late 80,s.

1 Like

@matthew_butterfly They were the days . Memories …

I am feeling very old now, my Mk1 Cortina cost 18 and six pence to fill. I was paying less than 2 bob a gallon. We would drive to Sydney from Stanthorpe and back for about 6 pounds. And as the speed limits were unrestricted in NSW we were taking about 7 - 8 hours each way. And there was not a lot of traffic. Trip from Stanthorpe to Brisbane in less than 2 hours at night as the traffic cops would knock off at 7pm. Cunningham Gap had a 60mph limit and was a very narrow two lane road. Trips to Brissie would only see about 10 cars until Ipswich.this was in 1963. I would sit the car on 80mph and just drive. The rule was, anything catching me was either a cop or a worse nutter than me and I would slow down and let them pass. There was no radar, no cameras and no traffic.

1 Like

Have a photo of when I started in a bank at Charleville in QLD’s mid west showing Shell servo price banner in the background. “Super” petrol 38.9c per litre that year. From memory it was 29.9 at Dalby … my home town at the time … which was much closer to “civilisation”.

1 Like

@meawls I found a couple of very old receipts with 38.5 cents a gallon = 8.5c litre and 41.5 cents a gallon for super fuel =9.2 cents a litre . Very faded receipts .Hard to determine date but must be after 1966 . Decimalisation

Did you by any chance ever encounter those servo’s that had after hours coin operated fuel dispensers, along similar lines to the stamp dispensers outside the post office?? I recall mum often using one at Burleigh Heads around 1969-70… you’d put in 20c coins and a little green or red light on a scale would illuminate. The scale would go upwards for each 20c coin you put in. The bowser linked to it would then dispense the amount of fuel you were entitled to. Sister and I always used to look forward to having our turn at the bowser. I was way too young to care at the time … but the bowser ran for a fair while on a 20c piece!!!

I can’t remember those . Things have changed so much

Whoops … refer to the above post about fuel at Charleville… forgot to show the year!! Started there late 1980 … photo was taken when I got a job pumping fuel at the station …

I remember those bowsers from holidays with my parents- not many of them around, but very handy for late night fill ups on long trips!

I vaguely recall petrol being around 20c from the early 70s, so that must have been for a gallon, as we didn’t go generally metric until 1976.

I can also remember some pumps where there was a dial on the side which allowed you to mix standard and super fuels together in set ratios . Cannot remember the Petrol company though .

Postage stamps seemed to stay 6 pence or 5 cents forever . Not like today .

Hi
I can help with stamps - actually what you want is domestic postage rates rather than ‘stamps’ In 1966 when Australia changed to decimal currency, you could buy postage stamps in a range of denominations from 1c to $4.00, but the domestic postage rate went from 5d to 4c with the changeover in Feb 1966, then to 5c in October 1967, 6c in October 1970, 7c in October 1971, 10c in November 1974, then a big jump to 18c in Aug 1975, 20c in July 1978, 22c in March 1980, 24c in July 1981, 27c in April 1982, 30c in Sep 1983, 33c in March 1985, 36c in August 1986, 37c in July 1987, 39c in Sept 1988, 41c in August 1989, 43c in August 1990 and 45c in Jan 1992. The domestic rate then remained unchanged for an amzing 10 years until Jan 2003 when it increased to 50c. Since then it’s gone from 50c to 55c, then 60c, 70c and at the start of this year a supposed 2 class system was introduced: $1.00 for ‘normal’ and $1.50 for ‘Express’ (don’t get me started…). I’m fairly sure the rates and dates above are correct, although I may be slightly out in the odd month. I’m a stamp dealer by profession, so this is all reasonably straight forward for me. One thing worth noting is that overseas airmail, particularly in the last 10 years or so, has well and truly outpaced domestic mail in increases. Hope this all helpful! Mike

1 Like

@mlphilatelics Thank you very much . Very informative . Very helpful .

Mike