Thanks For Nothing, Anti-Vaxxers

And here is today’s episode of “You just can’t help stupid”.

Kentucky student sueing his school for banning him from basketball practice and lessons due to him being too stupid to get vaccinated against chicken pox.

Calls to ban controversial nutritionist from speaking at the University of Melbourne after she was previously banned from 4 other Australian universities in 2017.

And the flat earth fruitcakes are at it again.

I have got to go now as I have a bridge to sell.

1 Like

Another episode of “You just can’t help stupid”.

American anti-vax family cause first outbreak of measles in Costa Rica in 13 years.

GoFundMe bans anti-vaxxer fundraisers.

Instagram to block anti-vaxxers.

Hopefully we are starting to get some progress in stopping these idiots spreading their dangerous nonsense.

1 Like

A couple of articles regarding the problems that anti-vaxxers are causing.

An incredible article regarding a great percentage of people in the DRC do not believe that Ebola exists.

1 Like

Another method of dealing with anti-vaxxers.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/concerned-mums-name-and-shame-antivaxxer-in-neighbourhood-letter/news-story/b61b480f238e35e62f03ed1420129f8c

Now the anti-vaxxers stupidity has really gone to the dogs.

But hopefully the tide is turning against their stupidity.

1 Like

When it comes to pets it’s a bit more complex. I’ve met a few vets and pet owners from the Geraldton area in WA and there’s a parvo epidemic there because people simply don’t understand that vaccines are something animals get.

I met one pet owner who told me her vet advised her not to bring her dog in for a vaccination and to instead wait for the mobile vet to come and do it, because the vet was so worried the dog would contract it from another unvaccinated animal.

1 Like

Now for today’s episode of “You just can’t help stupid”.

Whilst New York takes the gloves off.

And Australia goes from being declared measles-free 5 years ago to having more cases so far this year than all of last year.

2 Likes

Sunday’s episode of “You just can’t help stupid”.

Charlatan banned by the Health Care Complaints Commission.

Only half of WA healthcare workers are getting flu vaccines.

Many aged care facilities are not meeting minimum requirements for flu vaccinations.

Australia heading for worst flu season ever with 27,000 cases and 7 dead already.

UNICEF launches a new global campaign promoting vaccinations.

And the anti-vaxxers are now selling snake oil.

1 Like

An article confirming the stupidity of anti-vaxxers and their idiotic supporters.

To be fair I’m sure it happens the other way around too. But yes one of the key strengths of the ‘anti-vaxx’ brand is how it’s followers will dog-pile on anyone who tries to question them. This effectively distracts both their community and the wider news from the ACTUAL story, which is about how doctors are calling out what is an obvious scam.

Also I still don’t get what it is with anti-vaxxers and Autism. It’s not a disease. It can’t (and shouldn’t) be ‘cured’. Stop being a dick to Autistic people.

Long after the paper that caused the scare was debunked and retracted the story is still passed around and around - minus the retraction part of course. Don’t expect a sensible reaction to the whole vaccination/autism mess, attitudes gained by non rational means cannot be changed by rational means.

2 Likes

The global measles outbreak has now become so serious that even Donald Trump now believes it and is urging the public to get vaccinated.

Meanwhile, over half a million children in the UK have not had vaccinations for measles.

And UNICEF states that 160 million children globally have not been vaccinated for measles in the past 8 years.

2 Likes

I think curing Autism would be a worthy goal to achieve. While it certainly would change those people who have it, I think the benefits of a cure would be mostly beneficial both to the people with it and to their families. Just as long as the cure isn’t worse than the problems from the Autism.

I didn’t say anything about that, it seems to have been attributed to me in error.

1 Like

Ahh just cut it from your post in reply to @Peterchu. I will adjust it now.

If someone is short should we try to cure them of being short? If someone is an introvert should we try and cure them of being introverted?

All the Autistic people I know (including multiple family members) are offended whenever someone suggests curing it. It’s simply how they were born and yes it doesn’t always make life easy but trying to “fix” their brain requires first deciding it is broken. And a lot of Autistic people are upset that people believe they are broken, and not that we as a society just need to adjust to cater for the extra needs they might have.

So in that way demanding a cure for it is actually quite upsetting for many Autistic people. It also crosses a line into trying to artificially modify how people think to make them “normal”.

1 Like

Depends on the problems it presents for the person. A cure doesn’t have to be used but if it is available then it is usable if needed. Introverted at what level and whether the person affected desires to be different to how they currently are, some are clinically not very well and require medical intervention, same goes for short or tall, if one is affected so that they desire a different outcome why should a cure not be a reasonable response if it is available.

Normal is a large portion of a broad bell curve, as are those who have autism…there are many levels and for some it is also a great drain on their families. As the ABC show about a family with 2 autistic children/adults the other night, the father said if a pill was available he would be using on his two affected children but he also understood it would change them. He loved them regardless but would take the cure in hand if it was available.

When you say “Clinically not very well” I’m guessing you’re referring to the more extreme symptoms that come with Autism. These are often related to other sub-conditions that can be separately addressed, or can be treated without any playing with someone’s brain.

And your second paragraph there highlights my exact point. Autistic children can be a “drain.” As can people with many different physical or mental traits. And a lot of Autistic people are upset at the fact that people see them as needing curing because they have those requirements. So although I respect that father’s opinion, I disagree with the concept that he should be able to change his children’s brain so they can be easier to care for.

For the record Autism runs in my family, and my brother is impacted enough to require disability support. He was the reason I initially believed in a cure for Autism, but he’s since convinced me away from that view for the reasons I described.

Overall a cure would significantly negatively impact people like my brother. It would give society a free pass to say ‘We don’t have to accommodate you because we’ve cured you.’ This is why anti-vaxxers in particularly infuriate me, because they often support this.

Introverted people…some are clinically not very well at all.

Sure there are some who have ASD who do not desire to be “cured”. Some of them refer to those who desire a cure or cures as curebies. I acknowledge that right to be the person they wish to be, but you then exclude those who do desire change by saying “shouldn’t be cured”. You by disallowing a choice not to be cured, are taking the right away from those who do. We have ASD in our family and I know some of them would prefer their lives to be different to what they have now and I would not rob them of that choice if it was available.

Anti-vaxxers use the flawed/incorrect/erroneous/wrong information about vaccines as part of their reasoning to avoid vaccination as they believe it could cause autism, not the only reason why they think people have it but one of the reasons it could be caused to their mistaken belief. They also avoid them because some wrongly think there are acids, mind altering compounds, and similar in the vaccines that will do them harm. Sure some people who get vaccines will have very bad reactions but so do some people who get stung by a bee, or drink milk, eat nuts or peanuts, eat meat, eat vegetables, eat fruit, drink water, and an almost endless variety of other things in this world. Do they stop eating and breathing because it might affect their unborn or growing child? No, but they continue to cause the rest of us to be placed in danger by their false beliefs, this is why I don’t like their stance.