Telstra..... Oops you did it again

I have heard of commercial users (business and organisations) getting consent, but haven’t heard about domestic customers/users. It would be interesting to know if any forum members have had any first hand/direct experience in getting consent and whether the telcos were accommodating or obtuse .

1 Like

From memory, I am sure that Kogan was selling one a few years ago.

Nothing dodgy from Kogan?

2 Likes

They still sell at least one @Fred123 from what I can find and it is a Refurb unit from Cel-Fi for the Telstra 3G band at $752 plus free shipping:

Before you can purchase a Compulsory Registration form must be completed with & approved by Cel-Fi

https://www.cel-fi.com.au/celfi_application_form_1_kogan.html

2 Likes

Sounds around the same price but I am sure that what they offered a few years was not described as refurbished and I am also sure that I did not see any requirement for sale only subject to approval.

I investigated it for one my wife’s sisters, all of whom live out in the boonies with almost non-existent mobile coverage.

2 Likes

There were at least 5 questions (I failed at the 5th so maybe more) to the approval. The auto response is copied below:

" Cel-Fi Repeater not suitable

Unfortunately a Cel-Fi Rpeater is not suitable for your area or your device.

Please contact the Kogan sales department for further information.

If your coverage problem has only recently started, then please contact Telstra to report the issue."

The page on Kogan also highlights the questions I had to answer yes or no to:

"This model is compatible with the Telstra 3G 850MHz Network only which is supported by Telstra Mobile and all MVNOs which use Telstra’s 3G 850MHz network.

To satisfy regulatory requirements, by purchasing this product, you are agreeing to the below:

• I have an existing device that connects to the Telstra 850MHz network either directly via Telstra’s mobile network or via an MVNO.
  • To comply with regulatory requirements Cel-Fi repeaters can only be shipped to the address where they will be installed.
  • This product cannot be shipped to PO Boxes.
  • Telstra 3G coverage is available at my location via a handheld or external antenna, according to Telstra’s coverage maps (http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/our-coverage/)
  • The area to be covered is no more than the size of a typical suburban residence
  • My 3G device works in other sites/locations
  • The coverage problem has always existed, as far as you know
  • Kogan is required to pass my information to Powertec Telecommunications as part of Australian regulatory requirements. This information may also be shared with Telstra (the supplier of the network) when requested. My information will only be used for regulatory purposes by the aforementioned parties and will not be shared with any other third party for any other purpose."
2 Likes

This sister of my wife lives on a small acerage property on the downhill side of the “main” road in this area SW of Innisfail, FNQ.

She has to walk up to the school bus stop shelter, which she calls her office, to get useable coverage, as it has always been

So she lives on a property much larger than a “typical suburban residence”, and she only has a PO Box at the only “shop” in the neaest “town” as there is no mail delivery, so she would not qualify

1 Like

A courier may make a delivery though. Or say they made the attempt but no one was home so took the delivery to the PO or local depot :smile:

1 Like

At least that isn’t the iPhone with reception problems that everyone was ‘holding the wrong way’.

1 Like

A bit more on repeaters/boosters.

A few years back, a local was bragging in the pub about saving hundreds of dollars by buying a cheap booster online. His mate asked whether he got approval. The response was a blank look.

After a bit of back-and-forth, the braggart agreed to turn off his booster for a while. Five nearby properties got their mobile services back. Nobody reported him to the authorities, but he didn’t turn the thing back on.

While problem boosters are typically sourced on ebay, this one was bought from Signal Boosters Australia. The same mob has apparently operated from several domains over the years. To cut a long story short, the local tried to get a refund, with predictable lack of success. Apparently, it isn’t illegal to sell a non-approved booster nor to own one. It’s only illegal to use it.

For Facebook users, there’s a bit of discussion of Signal Boosters Australia and illegal boosters in general here:

Evidently, Nextivity is the only manufacturer that has jumped through all the hoops for approval in Australia. Licencing is managed online, as part of the purchase transaction. Interestingly, if a licenced user moves and takes the booster with them, then the approval must be updated with the new address. Both the individual and the location are licenced.

If anyone wants to play around with the licencing process, try:

or
https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/network-coverage-extension-devices

4 Likes

If you own an unlicenced repeater (distinct from a Booster but people do use the term interchangeably with Repeater) you would have to prove you possess it with no intent to use it.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00262/Html/

Part 3.1 Division 1 Sections 47 & 48 of the Act:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00262/Html/Text#_Toc19106709
A person may also find themselves subject to Part 4.1 & 4.2 of the Act

For Boosters see the following Declaration (ie they are banned & if you possess one you would have to prove it was not intended for use):

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2011L00866

"5 Prohibition of mobile phone boosters

The operation or supply of a mobile phone booster, or the possession of a mobile phone booster for the purpose of its operation or supply, is prohibited for the reasons set out in Schedule 1 to this Declaration."

1 Like

Another supplier of repeater kits and product range similar to Powertec.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/optus-3g-4g-indoor-coverage-external-antenna-repeater-kit

Registration

Which seems to leave some questions unanswered as the product is promoted as legally compliant. Effectively the same products as available through Telstra.

1 Like

Yes and no. The device picks up the signal, amplifies then retransmits. It both boosts and repeats. Strictly speaking, a repeater retransmits without amplification. The devices in question can be described as boosters, repeaters or booster/repeaters.

A radio repeater actually receives a radio frequency signal on one frequency and automatically retransmits it on a second frequency.

A passive repeater receives a radio frequency using one antenna and retransmits it via a second antenna, both of which are normally yagi antennas with one directed at the signal source and the other directed at the blackspot…

Limited range but no electronics involved or power required and if one antenna can get a reasonable signal from the source, then it can mean the difference beween reception and no reception at the blackspot.

1 Like