CHOICE membership

Tell us your experience with Defence Health

Do you have something to say about Defence Health? Tell us your good experiences, bad experiences or otherwise and help inform the CHOICE Community.

Read our review of Defence Health

I have been a member of Defence Health Fund for a number of years and have always found their Hospital insurance very good value for money. As a dialysis patient for 15 months I was a heavy user as they were paying out $700 a week. the plan also included ambulance cover. The plan I am on is no longer available but they did not force me to change to the replacement plan which I assumed might be less generous. My Extras cover which was Top Level at the time I purchased it was not so generous for dental work but covered items such as a blood pressure monitor and some non PBS medications. I have never needed to talk to them by phone as all claims have been handled promptly. So only positive dealings with them, nothing negative.

I have been with Defence Health (previously called Army Health Benefits Society) over 40 years continuously. I worked for the Army in a clerical role for 3 months when I was 16, joined and stayed - reliable, good communicators and no more expensive than comparable schemes (I have always had Top Extras cover). Easy claims.