Tap water vs bottled water

If you want to avoid fluoride, @goodwinjanine0, a better option may be to buy the 10L Pureau containers. They boast having zero traces of anything other than water. As an added bonus, you would be severely reducing your plastic consumption if you use a reusable bottle instead of incredibly wasteful plastic bottles.

1 Like

I live in a water catchment area that has several dam and weirs. When it rains all you can taste is mud and chlorine. chlorine is added to the water to kill bacteria. The chlorine also kills the good bacterial flora in your stomach. Tap water also contains fluoride. fluoride cannot be filtered from tap water. Flouride is unnecessary as it is also found in toothpaste.Many countries have banned the use of fluoride in water.

Those are the downside to tap water. Tap water contains many natural minerals you need. It is also very high quality and pollutant free except the two added chemicals.

If you use bottled water which I mostly do, buy the water bottled in the hard plastic 10 liter containers as there is some evidence that the water in soft plastic bottles is tainted from the chemicals from the plastic bottle. I have noticed the difference in taste from hard plastic bottled water and soft. So bottled water in cheap plastic may not be the alternative solution.

2 Likes

The reason bottled water has a use by date is because of chemicals leeching from the plastics into the water.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly😊
I’m not very knowledgeable re. implementation of the above.
How could it be done to ensure your suggestions were put in place?
I’d like to contribute in some way if it was possible .
Such an environmental issue that surely can be resolved.

I am sorry but I drink bottled water - perhaps my senses are more sensitive as I cannot stand the taste of the tap water here and can even smell the chemicals in it - my husband thinks I am mad and actually put some tap water in my water and I immediately cottoned on and changed it to the bottled water. Sorry but there is a difference and I prefer the bottled water.

3 Likes

I completely refuse bottled water, I’d rather go thirsty. I got a reusable bottle that fits perfectly in my handbag - I don’t leave home without it. Increased access to water refill points like the ones in Manly would be great. On my holiday in Hawaii, several cafes and shops had big water refill jugs inside the door - a great way to bring people in. Having refill options constantly in front of you is a good reminder and encouraging for people considering the switch.

1 Like

Hi @elcie1812, I understand that some prefer not to drink pre-packaged water for aesthetic reasons. If you read through the responses in this thread, you will see that there are perfectly viable options for such people. Buying 10L water containers to fill a reusable bottle is a much better option for your wallet and the environment.

Agree with all except the ‘trendy’ part. It was trendy as the marketing has been overly successful in convincing people to waste money and resources on something they don’t need. However, I think things have changed and BYO is now the emerging trend. Kleen Kanteen and Keep Cups are now the trendy way to go while some people attempt to justify their poor choices and gullibility to themselves (and other).

Here, here, it is true that people are basically lazy but I have been guilty of that I self. I am all in favor of anything, including bottles, that gets people drinking more water.

I buy bottled water as I have said earlier , mainly in 1.25 to 1.5 litre bottles as any bigger is too heavy for my work bag. Our town water is rated at good quality but leaves white stain on my car windscreen when I wash the bugs off as well as the sore throat I get. I also pay for a recycling service so hope all my drinking containers are actually recycled.I have bought products from the hardware store made from recycled plastic so hope the drinking bottles have come around in their second life. Reusing water bottles is great as long as they are designed for that purpose and washed properly.

1 Like

Can you implement some sort of filtration system so you can fill your own bottles?

Time to invest in a still. 99.9% of impurities can be effectively dealt with .

The solution could be tank water, fed from the roof. We lived rural and town water was not available so we used entierly on tank water for the last 10 years. With proper 2 stage filtration it is the best drinking water I have ever had.
Nasties like Guardia and Crypto Speridium (sp?) do not have a chance.

1 Like

The only effective method to make sure water is safe to drink (from any source) is via distillation - %99.8 % . Filters break down over time .

Filters can be maintained or recycled, but if boiling water is a practical option for someone, it is certainly better than buying a plastic bottle.

1 Like

Common element, yes, but will not be found in its natural state, brownish gas because it is so reactive with a thin mini skirt of electrons. These electrons make the F ion want to bond with anything it touches, that’s why it’s used in industry to speed up reactions, the WA AMA concluded that nearly 100% remains in your body, other sources say could be as low as 50%. When it remains in your body it attaches to the calcium predominantly in your bones. It has been showed that it produces a honey comb effect thus producing weak bones. Two Canadian University studies have shown that senior citizens in F community have 33% higher hip fracture rate than nonF communities, all things taken into account, they aren’t the only one saying this. If you would like some easy access to peer reviewed papers on the effects of F then use Google Scholar, it will be amongst the google options like maps etc. all papers are peer reviewed before they can be published on this site, read for your self, you to Mr Choice you will see your claim of Urban Myth dissolve like glass under HFA. Please look for your self and be informed.

Apparently, it was the reason behind Gulf War Syndrome as the bottled water was affected by the heat causing the plastic to release into the water.

Yes some do and some don’t the ones I’ve spoke to basically say they are pressured to not show Fluoride on their water make up tables.
Do you know how they know when an Aluminium worker, or anyone working with Fluoride compounds, is effected? They look for odd, indecisive, lost behaviour due to HFA being a Neuro toxic chemical, proved by Dr Phyllis Mullenix while working for the NDA in the USA, the NDA is one of the premier Dental associations in the world, Dr Mullenix was requested by Dr Harold Hodge, he was the Head Toxicologist on the Manhattan Project, where they used massive amounts of fluoride to process uranium for the Atom bomb, he basically got cold feet about the effects of F on humans. The test Dr Mullenix used was ground breaking at the time, Dr Mullenix was considered one of the best if not the best in her field that’s why Dr Hodge employed her. Dr Mullenix test involved rates in a maze performing the same task for reward, it was watched by cameras and liked to a computer so that differences in behaviour could be noticed by the computer. It showed that the rats became confused the more F they were feed in their water at levels that you and I can easily reach if not suppressed already.

Your not mad but are only showing a normal sensitivity to the toxin Fluoride or HFA the waste by product from industry, all people have different levels of reaction to it and the G I system shows it up sooner than most parts of your body due to it being the break down pot in your body. This happens a lot in India where natural F is common and the only way to stop it is to remove it from your diet, there is a lot of medical research in India ( China too) on this subject but we don’t see it mentioned here.

If you believe that you live in a dream world. I will email you the Assay sheets and the emails from CSBP and the WA Water Corp discussing the use of HFA, the Class 8 toxic waste.