Swooping Birds - it’s that time of year again

The bloke in the podcast said that the faster you cycle away, the more the bird thinks it’s had a win by chasing you away. He lives and breathes magpies and is also a cyclist.

2 Likes

He should try standing still then. Rest assured doing so or walking slowly away has zero influence on the swooping behaviour of the Butcher birds around the corner. I’ve noted the same while stopped at the one set of traffic lights when riding into town. The nearby Magpie seems to recognise red as a clear signal to attack anyone not on the move.

The good news the birds do stop when they finish nesting.

4 Likes

It really makes no difference whether you are standing there staring at them, or cycling away at 70km/hr. If they want to get you, they will. All the ones I am regularly swooped by have not been harassed by myself, and probably not by anyone else either, as they are mostly in remote areas on country roads and on remote parts of large properties.

3 Likes

Good info in this interview: Bush chooks, clever crows, and assassin maggies - ABC
They recognise faces, even after years. Changing your appearance (eg use a mask) should help. If they feel they have been threatened, which could be you staring at their nest, they may start swooping. Things moving quickly eg motorcycles, pushbiksr can be targets. Apparently stopping will stop them as there will no longer be a moving target. Lots more good info about magpies, brush turkeys and more in the interview.

1 Like

Did you see my video above? :wink:

2 Likes

Highly entertaining podcast! Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like