Survey businesses legitimacy questions

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Surveyz is legitimate?? I saw it on tv last night but cant find it in a google search for legitimate survey sites?? Thanks.

Welcome to the community, Kolosque.

Depends on what you mean by “legitimate”. At a very quick review:

• I would be very reluctant to give them access to my bank account! At most, I would create a new bank account with nothing in it, for their use.
  • By definition, doing surveys means surrendering personal information, both personally-identifying and otherwise - and only you can decide the value to you of the latter.
  • I doubt that this will be a road to riches for you.

I think it is wise of you to take as much time as you need to investigate this before jumping in.

I didn’t find an ABN mentioned on the site.

I also wondered about the tax implications for you.

Good question though. Let us know how you get on.

3 Likes

Hi @Kolosque, welcome to the community.

It might be worth reading this thread for background

'Dodgy' survey sites

While they might be different, I would be nervous about sharing information with a relatively unknown business, as part of a survey for financial reward.

What is interesting is the T&CS state
 One can sign up for an account except

Not have an existing Surveyz account, or an existing account with Humaniti (www.humaniti.com)

It appears they have some association with Humaniti or the same business/is a subsidiary (note: same Australian business address). It is worth doing homework on this business too as they might be the one and the same.

Their privacy policy is here

It is also worth reading.

They seem to suggest they only use aggregated survey data, but on the other hand they say

• We use your personal information to run the services we provide you, all secured using the latest encryption and security technology, and stored in Australia. No transactions can take place using our platform.

So it appears they collect personal data on you, but only share aggregated data with their clients.

For myself, I still don’t think the potential modest financial rewards compensate for sharing personal data with them. But you may come to a different conclusion based on your risk taking.

5 Likes

From the site ‘footnotes areas’ it is owned and operated by Data Analytics Holdings Pty Ltd ACN 611 631 826 and have been in business since 2016 and registered for GST since 2017.

Regardless, I would stay very far away from them. They are offering token amounts that are assuredly to surrender your marketing profile or target advertising, not to advise companies about their products.

6 Likes

Hi. My name is Ben and I am the founder and CEO of Data Analytics Holdings, the Australian company that built and owns Humaniti and Surveyz.

I think you will always have to make your own assessment on what suits you and whether it is worth your while and risk tolerance. But I thought it might be helpful to answer some of your key questions above.

• We are definitely legitimate and have been around since 2017

• Yes, we use de-identified spending data for market insights and research purposes. All completely secure and privacy compliant.

• Most other apps and organisations collect your data, however they do not ask your permission (we do), they do not thank you (we do) and they do not pay you (we do)
 and they will usually share your personal information with other parties (we will never do that).

• We will never do direct marketing or try and sell you anything - we are purely about market research and consumer insights.

• We have a community over 40,000 very happy members who earn extra cash each week doing short surveys. You get about 2-3 surveys a week, and active members earn between $400 and $600 per year.

• Our members connect their bank accounts so we can use the spending patterns to select groups of people for surveys (coffee lovers, gym junkies, health fund members, grocery buyers etc). It also means shorter surveys because we have to ask fewer questions.

• If you (securely) link your bank accounts, we pay double per survey and enter you in the quarterly $5,000 prize draw - its our way of rewarding you for helping generate a robust picture of Australian consumers.

We are always happy to answer any questions or concerns, just get in touch via our support email.

It is not for everyone, and it may not be for you
 but hopefully these answers are helpful.

Thanks, Ben

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @BenD and thanks for identifying yourself. You might consider filling in your profile so members could be aware in any further posts you make.

There might be additional questions from members so I hope you will monitor the topic in case.

4 Likes

So what is the reason behind connecting bank accounts? The more accounts you connect, the more surveys you qualify for, according to the Website.
Surely if you want to pay me for doing some surveys, you can send the money to my Paypal account. Or a money transfer into a ‘pay anyone’ nickname.

2 Likes

Hi Gregr. Hopefully I have now answered that above. Thanks, Ben

Will do, thanks Phil

1 Like

So I give your organization access to my bank accounts so my transactions can be viewed. That would require my online userid and password.
You have to be freaking joking.

2 Likes

Is this verified by some independent organisation? If not how do we know that you actually do it as you say?

2 Likes

Hi syncretic - Yes, or partner is illion (was Dunn and Bradstreet), who are the credit bureau all the major banks and lending institutions use to check all your accounts every time you want a loan. We also have 2 external security companies who constantly monitor and ensure we remain completely secure and compliant with all Privacy Legislation. If we don’t do things properly, we would be out of business very quickly.

1 Like

Somewhat my sentiment but 

perhaps it is possible to set up an internet banking account that affords “view” access but not “transact” access. For clarity: The internet banking account is different from the actual bank account. You and the other party both access the same bank accounts but while your login (internet banking account) has “view” and “transact” access, the other party’s login only has “view” access. ???

To be honest, I am surprised that this is not a violation of the Terms and Conditions of internet banking i.e. you signed up saying that you would keep your online id and password secret. My bank is always telling me to make sure that I keep my password secret.

1 Like

We cannot transact at all. You only enter your ID to get access to the statement data via illion. It is completely encrypted and we don’t store the login details, nor can we access the accounts. Exactly the same when you sign up to any app like Pocketbook, Raiz, Moneysoft, Credit Simple etc etc. Secure, encrypted and non-transactional.

1 Like

To understand that comment: does entering your ID mean entering your “username” (internet banking customer number or similar) or entering your “username” and “password”?

Yes - both. To see all the relevant information
 Privacy Policy - Surveyz and for a clear overview of what we do and why
 https://www.surveyz.com.au/

Honest question, Banks commonly have a stated policy that (simplified states) if a customer shared their login details with anyone the bank is no longer responsible for their account security. Text from a random bank is that the bank indemnifies you if You didn’t provide your login details, secure information or access to your devices to any other person or company who may have made the transaction.

The details could be in multiple databases in multiple countries, and every one of them is hackable, it is just how difficult to do. Is the answer that everything is encrypted so one who wants the service has to trust the system and the integrity of all the related sites at ones own risk? Or is the ‘get out of jail’ clause to any other person or company who may have made the transaction. Thus a hacker is not included.

4 Likes

Right, I think I understand what is happening here.

The credit agencies like Illion and Equifax maintain databases of information about people. This information comes from reports by companies when credit defaults occur, when inquiries about credit are made to the database, and also from statements sent from banks, credit cards companies, utilities and also from other public sources.

Statement information, particularly credit card statements, has information about what the cards were used for and from whom. Useful purchasing information.

Companies like Surveyz then pay for access to these databases for information pertaining to specific users and their accounts and the transaction details, to then build their own databases of information with specific user information removed.

BUT, this would NOT require any userid or password information for Internet banking. Only the account information.

Is this what happens @BenD?

1 Like

Yes.

From mine: You may be held liable or partly liable for unauthorized transactions if you contributed to the loss through [
] a breach of the passcode security requirements set out in these guidelines.

Said guidelines say in part:

You must not voluntarily disclose your passcode to anyone.

So I am left scratching my head as to how anyone could validly participate in surveyz if the participant links an account.

I totally understand what surveyz is trying to do but if it involves voluntarily disclosing an internet banking password, it shouldn’t be allowed.

Has anyone else had trouble claiming rewards from Survey Junkie. They demanded I prove my identity in the middle of last year, by getting me to request a card with a verification number on it a (which never arrived) and after I complained ended up with a phone call from one of their staff last August who confirmed my identity as a flesh and blood human and my account was unlocked. Now they have locked it up again demanding that I upload a copy of both sides of a Government issued photo id with all my details showing, as well as a separate photo of me. I’m very concerned that all this information is being sent to somewhere in the USA and am very worried about identity theft especially as they’ve already verified my identity. What do you all think?

4 Likes