Supermarkets promoting fake markdowns

Thanks for the inside info HJ. Very good to have had that clarified.

3 Likes

I have noticed the same thing and consequently I am checking labels too. At first glance they look as though the item has been marked down.

Designed to capture the too busy to check customers.

3 Likes

One other thing to look out for is selective markdowns / specials. I was buying some yoghurt powder and noticed most of the flavours had a special sticker on the shelf. For the one I wanted, it did not have a special. So I assumed they forgot to add the sticker. When I went through the checkout, the normal price showed up. So watch out for this!

3 Likes

I think they are the items that at Woolies list on the customer display of the checkout items as a discounted product with a saving of zero cents. Someone might assist as I only noticed it for the first time today and was not sure what was going on.

I’ll need to be a little more attentive next time. It looks like the Dan Murphy’s tactic of displaying boldly a discounted price, then in smaller print “ members price” and the regular price for dummies who have not surrendered their first born to the cause.

Who has that much time to spend on the weekly family shop? Be fair. Put the regular price in the standard style, size and tag placement. Put the members or other select customers price on a different smaller tag with relevant conditions. No need to make it any more prominent as those select customers know who they are and have signed up just for those specials. They will always be on the lookout regardless.

2 Likes

Rarely buy at the big Pharmacies, but on recommendation from a friend, bought Nutra-Life Joint Formula + MSM Concentrate Powder at Chemist Warehouse. Tag said $34.99 (no mention of special), receipt said “You have saved $27.00”. I did a search on-line and $33-35 seems to be the price everyone else is selling for, except one regional health food shop $61.99.

So I regard it as “fake” savings. Perhaps the RRP is deliberately exorbitant as a selling point.

4 Likes