Supermarkets Closed For 4 Days Over Xmas In Some Qld Towns

An article regarding supermarkets and other major retailers being closed for 4 days over Xmas in some Qld towns.

Qld is still being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century but has improved marginally over the past 100 years.

Whilst researching family history some years ago, I came across some interesting articles.

A Chinese friend of my grandparents was one of 3 shopkeepers who were fined by the court for having their doors open in Silkwood on a Sunday in January, 1928.

And prior to my late uncle joining the A,I,F., in November 1940, he was one of a gang of cane cutters who had moved to the Mena Creek Hotel after finishing cutting in South Johnstone and were checking in so as to start cutting in the area the next day.

As it was after 8.00 PM, a plain clothes copper charged them all and the publican for liquor licence breaches.

Hotel Sunday trading only commenced in Qld in 1970 with a 2 hour lunch time session and a 2 hour afternoon session.

And of course supermarkets are not allowed to sell liquor in Qld, unlike other states.

2 Likes