Supermarket toilet paper rip off

I’ve been using Who Gives a Crap for ages now…Excellent…delivered to doorstep and no need to lug it from the supermarket.

Less product for the same price … At my little supermarket - Quilton toilet paper - looks the same as the normal one, but has the word ‘Gold’ on it and ‘3’ now replaced by 4 layers - sheets per roll have dropped from 180 to 140.

Less sheets so we will get through it faster. Only one other brand available. Small shop, a bit over priced, so I get a laugh at their “Half Price” stickers eg “Quilton 6 pack, was $9.15, now Half Price! $3.00.” The Half Price is from the catalogue, presumably the others in the chain usually sell it for $6.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know @zackarii

Sorry am so joining this debate so late.

Am very surprised that no one seems to have mentioned or used the unit price (price per 100 sheets) of toilet paper when comparing prices and values.

The unit price expressed in this way, as is required by the mandatory Code administered by the ACCC is extremely helpful for comparing the value of packs with different numbers of rolls and different number of sheets per roll.

Indeed, people often tell me that they find unit pricing per 100 sheets particularly helpful for toilet paper even though you still have to take account of quality factors such a ply and sometimes that the sheet dimensions are different.

To take these factors into account you’d need to unit price by weight or are but I am not convinced that this would be an improvement for most people.

Finally if you spot any toilet rolls being unit priced per roll or per sheet please let the ACCC know by ringing 1300 302 502. By doing so you will help convince the ACCC and the Govt that there are many substantial, but easily fixable, problems with the current unit pricing system, especially with retailer provision.

3 Likes

I think ALDI do it by sheet but I could be wrong on this.

1 Like

Is per 100 sheets (as required by the Code) at the Aldi stores I use.

2 Likes

Here’s the CHOICE toilet paper test for those interested, including a comparison on cost.

2 Likes

We’ve updated our toilet paper review for 2018.

3 Likes