Subway - Eat Fresh?

Sugar does three things:

• it makes the bread sweeter but there needs to be fair bit to notice,
  • it alters the texture and makes it softer and squishier,
  • it feeds the yeast and supplies substrate for yeast enzymes which gets CO2 going faster.

Added sugar is not necessary for yeast-raised bread but it gets it going quicker. Many commercial bread mixes contains a little sugar for purpose (3) but it isn’t enough to have much effect on the other two. Many bread formulae that start with baker’s flour will include a little sugar along with salt and minerals - all to feed the yeast.

Yes, one can wait for the enzymes (maltase) released by the yeast to break down the maltose into glucose for the yeast to do it’s job.

Most commercially made bread have chemical leavening agents which release carbon dioxide to accelerate the leavening process. I wonder that the yeast in commercially made bread is added for flavour rather than solely for leavening.

Cheap supermarket bread is raised using steam so the yeast is entirely for flavour - such as it is.

1 Like

Off topic, but on a topic?
Much appreciated to know, :+1:

Traditionally prepared and baked bread,
Bakery bread, methods vary?
Supermarket bread, germane product labelling!

Which is best?
Unlike petrol ‘super’ does not equate to superior, nor does expensive assure a product that is significantly more nutritious or healthy?:thinking:

The sugar is derived from the starches in the flour, so as I am generally wanting a faster finish to my bread making I opt for a minimal amount of sugar to assit the proving of the loaf. This equates to about 2 teaspoons of sugar (white, raw, icing or even brown) to any sized loaf for the family eg 600g, 700g 800g and 1.2kg loaf, but I also add a bread improver that contains the amylase enzyme to more quickly convert the starch carbs. The minimal sugar is quickly converted by the yeast into alcohol and CO2. A dessert type bread has a lot more sugar and it doesn’t take long to prove and re-prove before baking leaving a lot of sugar unconverted and thus a sweeter bread (as does the addition of fruits and jams).

Steam is mostly used to 1. keep the dough moist & warm during proving and 2. is used in the baking process to get a crisper crust. As to the making of the breads cooked in Supermarkets, they are frozen doughs (generally proved once before freezing) then thawed and proved. My daughter was a Bakery Manager at Coles and had to do this every day. Ascorbic acid can be used to help raise the bread as well.

The ongoing saga of what Subway puts in their sandwiches. The last paragraph may be representative, or maybe not.

Another article regarding it.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2-customers-sue-subway-claiming-tuna-is-anything-but-tuna/781a7262-73d5-470a-89bb-e80b1d08e3f4

“Plaintiffs Karen Dhanowa and Nilima Amin, two Alameda County residents, claim in their lawsuit filed last week in US District Court for the Northern District of California that the US chain Subway has been trying to “capitalise on the premium price consumers are willing to pay for tuna,” the East Bay Times reported Thursday.”

As I would expect that the tuna is not sashimi grade raw tuna but rather cooked canned tuna, I don’t see what premium anyone would be paying.

It sells for as little as $7 a kilo at Coles and Woollies so hardly expensive.