Strange and mysterious self advertising

Here is a copy of the swing tag from an item that bought recently:

You may have to click it to see it all.

Before I say any more about it I want to test who has sat in on Advertising Media 101.

1. Who are they and what are they selling?
  2. What does the text say to you about the product, the brand or the image they want to project?
  3. What does the image convey to you?
  4. Would this effort persuade you to buy their product again?
  5. What were they thinking?
6 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking:
Is that the picture of a war zone?
Very intriguing!
Buy again what?

3 Likes

It must be a great and useful product sold at the right price and suitable quality if you bought it?

Doubtless the tag image is so neutral on first glance many might not notice anythIng of the image.

Some of us buy para military styled clothing to help us blend in, so who knows what the brand owner means?

So an online product perhaps which would explain how the tag image snuck past an experienced Choice member. And a poor translation of a sales line into English.

4 Likes

I think they are implying they attire is milspec equivalent, that is tough and rugged enough to take to combat in a war zone.

OK satisfied my curiosity and did an image search. They are selling lots of weekend urban warrior clothing. It all seems as tough as camouflage coloured toothpaste. At least they havenā€™t stooped to disruptive colour patterns!

No the tag would not persuade me to buy their product, but I think it panders to those city types who want to feel like the rugged outdoors hero (without any of the inconveniences).

4 Likes

ā€œWould you buy their product again?ā€

If it was a bulletproof vest and it did the job, yes I would buy againšŸ˜‰

3 Likes

Looks like they have used google translate for Simplified Mandarin to English. One has to love Chinglish!

I wonder that the acronym AFS ZDJP is for. Having lived in China is possibly something likeā€¦

ā€œAllworld Fashion Supplies/Manufacturing Company Zhenjiang District Jiangsu Province Pty Ltdā€

7 Likes

The product was a winter jacket ordered online as an experiment. Normally I would never buy shoes or clothes without trying them on but decided to risk it on clothing as clothing shops are rare in my neck of the woods. I was pleasantly surprised when the jacket arrived from China on time with no fuss and turned out to be quite well made. It is thick and warm as advertised, good materials including substantial buttons, metal zippers and no stitching faults. I couldnā€™t find one loose thread. It is exactly the measurements quoted on line. It is neither particularly flimsy nor rugged but quite suitable to wear to town on a winter day.

The labels: it took me a while to work out what was going on. One is just ā€œAFS ZDJPā€ in large block letters. I didnā€™t know if this was a name, a size, a design number or some unfamiliar Chinese designation. It turns out to be the brand. Why use a meaningless, unpronounceable string of letters? There was no label that gave a size, style or description of the goods in English, although the coat had a size in Roman letters.

No prizes for guessing the text on the swing tag is transliterated Mandarin. I suppose they are trying to associate positive masculine traits with the product but you would think if they were going to aim at the export market they would get a native English speaker to check the script and possibly to advise on cultural connotations.

The image took a while to puzzle out. After scrutiny, it is of a battle with planes, helicopters, bombs and blasts. Riffing on the masculine-military link I suppose rather than suggesting that if you wear the jacket your will be attacked by gunships. The odd thing is that the garment is not military in style or decoration. I donā€™t expect the coat would stand up too well dodging through barb wire and shell holes under fire but I wonā€™t wear while fixing fences as whatever you wear will get holes pulled in it sooner or later.

I wonder if the Chinese shake their heads over the marketing and presentation of Australian goods?

6 Likes