Stick Vacuum Reviews - Dyson

Apparently Consumer Reports have removed Dyson stick vacuums from their recommendation due to unreliability issues.

“Consumer Reports” is similar to Choice, but operates in the US.

Will that affect Choice’s recommendations?

5 Likes

Hi @dds, that’s big news from Consumer Reports. We run our own testing regime, including looking at reliability, and this is what dictates the results that you see on CHOICE. While Dyson’s manufacturing is all in Malaysia and Singapore, there may be some important differences in the products that are released on the US market and those that we receive. Still, very concerning to see so many consumers having reliability problems, and no doubt something our own product testing team will consider with interest.

5 Likes

Hi @dds. We do pay attention to findings from other consumer orgs but we still rely only on our own tests and surveys. In our product reliability survey data for stick vacs, Dyson has topped the score for stick vac reliability and owner satisfaction. We don’t make extrapolations from that data in the same way as Consumer Reports; we simply report the survey results.

We only started including stick vacs in the reliability survey a couple of years ago. As we build up more survey data we will get a better picture of brand reliability for stick vacs in general and Dyson in particular, but we aren’t seeing any trends at this stage to suggest Dyson reliability is dropping.

5 Likes

I have had a Dyson stick for around eight years and it is fine. I have the model to use for animal hair. Only complaint is the battery runs out quickly so I can’t get the whole place vacuumed in one go. Have to wait around three hours for the battery to recharge before I can resume.

1 Like

Batteries lose capacity the more discharge and charging cycles the batteries are subject to. Batteries in poor condition, such as old ones, can also take longer to charge as well (if the charging unit is a step down voltage type).

The other thing to consider is what constitutes ‘reliable’ - do they only mean the battery and the accessories? If a stick vac battery fails after 3 years and it’s been used every day, then that’s lasted a year longer than my car battery recently did! In many cases the battery is replacable. You’d need to weigh up the replacement cost with the cost of a whole unit. It’s around $76 for the Dyson V6 battery (a model which has been around quite a few years), and the replacement bin, which may break from wear and tear, is $25.

1 Like

One of Dyson’s earlier marketing pitches for (corded) bagless was it saved money not having to buy bags. However, $100 would buy around 20 to 40 popular model vaccuum cleaner bags which corresponds to a bag replacement every 1-2 months (for the Dyson be be ahead cost wise purely based on consumerables). I am not sure how many households would replace their bags this often… ours is once a year.

If one factors in the price premium for their vaccum cleaners as well, Dyson vaccum cleaners in many (almost all?) cases will cost significantly more to purchase and run in the long run,

I still prefer barrel cleaner over bag less. Its more like dyson have people over a barrel by saying they have the only bag less cleaner. Lots exist which are reliable enough. Cordless might be different in regards to dyson brand. The lower end stick vacuum hardly received a good point.

1 Like