Steve Jobs book review

There is an interesting article on the News.com website about the book being released by Steve Jobs’ first child, Lisa Brennen- Jobs.

It is certainly not very flattering of Jobs.
I also recall him being quoted as saying that he stopped believing in God as he could not believe that any God would allow all the poverty and suffering in the world, but in stark contrast to Bill Gates, there is apparently no record of him ever donating any of his vast fortune to charity.
I do not like Apple either.

2 Likes

Another article today regarding what a great father Steve Jobs was.

Has anyone read the book? Please feel free to leave your review here.

2 Likes

Why? I have no idea if jobs is a terrible father or not nor what he may or may not have done with his fortune. I also have no idea what the questions have to do with the provision of goods and services, consumer affairs or just life in general in Australia. If a book review of his daughter pointing out his shortcomings, from her point of view, is on topic here then it would appear there are no boundaries.

6 Likes

I have not read the book. I feel I might need to read more than one book on this aspect of the life of S Jobs to offer an informed review. The book is not yet released anyway, however the SMH has offered up a synopsis.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/apple-s-steve-jobs-comes-across-as-a-jerk-in-new-book-his-daughter-forgives-him-should-we-20180825-p4zzpj.html

There is more than one side to every story. It would appear harsh to judge those still living as to their views of the actions of someone no longer living. Or equally to judge someone without any point of balance.

Perhaps if you can relate an issue of ethics or moral right to an existing situation or circumstance there is an argument of relevance? It still needs an absolute truth to support any position consumers might see relevant to purchase decisions.

Critically what is the benefit of singling out any business on the basis of how a prior owner may have behaved personally and privately? The actions of any business may be questionable for many different reasons. This is not the intended topic of the book according to the author.

It is good to consider the moral arguments providing there is a demonstrated connection of cause and effect. Should consumers hold Apple accountable for any wrongs committed by a now departed ex owner in their personal life?

As much as the concept may appeal EG Australian Federal Parliament dismissed by GG following Deputy PM taking up with new girl friend, it is in my humble personal opinion far from logical or sustainable!

1 Like

In most cases zero. If it is the current manager, then their behaviour is more important. Who would want a person who, for instance, considers women to be objects, or is openly racist, or cannot seem to open their mouth without lying to be in a position of leadership?

Steve Jobs’ daughter obviously has a story to tell about a famous person, and has every right to tell it. Whether this post belongs in the ‘electronics and technology’ section of the Choice Community Forum is a separate question - perhaps it should be better placed in ‘off-topic’?

4 Likes

I agree totally.
It’s difficult to justify otherwise. In particular without the ready availability of the book. There is only the advance marketing hype. All of this points to a personal relationship story. It is not a book that appears to be directed at the business of Apple or its products.

There are possibly more valuable discussions to be had on-topic around the consumer issues raised concerning Chinese based enterprises ZTE and Huawei. Importantly the competition outcomes vs security concerns of their involvement in the Australian market. And possibly the character of their owners/managers.

On this I have an open mind. As Telstra and ZTE had a long and prosperous relationship it is remarkable this is only now an issue?

4 Likes

Good question @syncretic. If it’s a consumer item like a book or even a TV Show, we’re happy for people to leave genuine reviews in the appropriate category.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Choice Community - for what purpose?

Except Brendan the release date for the book is 4th Sept, USA.
Other than a limited release to critics at the NY Times etc none of us have read the book. So all we can do is review the critics notes at present!

This all seems kind of pointless.

Agree once the book is published and released in Australia ( The USA Title is Small Fry) it may be relevant to offer a review of the book. If as the author suggests it’s really about the personal relationship between Steve Jobs and his daughter and ex girl friend, is there a better category for it?

2 Likes

@mark_m Seems like the book is successfully generating hype. Personally it’s not my area of interest, but if people wish to discuss it within the Community guidelines along with the themes you’ve raised here, it could be an interesting topic for some.

I’ve updated the category to reviews and clarified the title :+1:

2 Likes