Stayz (HomeAway) - Drip Pricing & Other Issues

Welcome to the community @Lee2

In your place I would go the step further to recommend avoiding Stayz. Any time a booking site gets involved there is always a danger (wildly variable) that the host may not deliver, from your ‘oops’ to ‘sorry all booked out at arrival, we can send you down the road (or worse)’ since even chains have been known to overbook or have guests refusing to check out on schedule.

The crux is that Stayz should have been able to and refunded your money in a small number of days, not weeks. That to me is an unforgivable failure.

9 Likes

I agree with @PhilT, you should have received a refund by now. For that sort of money, given you haven’t received a refund yet when you should have, I would be going to the bank tomorrow morning and ask for an immediate chargeback. Take your confirmed booking email, and the email from the host cancelling the booking, as well as any correspondence you may have relating to the getting refund from Stayz.

5 Likes

Yes they should have. While not having dealt with Stayz, some and depending on the prepayment method, hold onto monies paid until accommodation booking is fulfilled. The accommodation owner usually claims room rates against the booking company. Deposits may be paid on booking however.

This is done for two reasons, the first being the booking company gets its compensation/commission earlier (not having to invoice the accommodation owner) and for cancellations. If the owner has been paid on booking, it could be difficult to get any refunds under the accommodation cancellation policy.

Disclosure…in the accommodation sector in Tassie and am familiar with how online booking platforms work…but not specifically Stayz, which is unlikely to be different with the rest of the industry.

4 Likes

Friends from France are visiting after Christmas this year and were looking for accommodation in Wagga. They visited the Stayz website and found a house that sleeps 6 in 3 bedrooms at an advertised cost of AU$1,248 total cost. When the booking process reached the payment page the price had almost trebled to AU$3,491.80. This appears to be be false advertising and deceitful conduct. I have screen shots of the abovementioned process. The payment page shows an additional charge of AU$2,000 for additional guests as there are 4 adults and 2 children. ACCC should investigate and consumers should be aware of this rort when using this website for accommodation bookings.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Waggaarchitect,

Thanks for adding your experience.

I merged your topic and a number of previous ones about Stayz into this single thread. It appears there are ongoing issues.

4 Likes

I have just had a thorough look at how Stayz books. It isn’t one we use for our own business, but is has similarities with other booking platforms.

Stayz, if one does a basic search, will present the minimum nightly rate with the included number of guests (usually 1 or 2). This will be the base room rate for that particular accommodation. For Stayz.com.au, the shown total booking amount based on the days selected including a Service Charge (or cleaning fee where they apply), this is a example:

Most accommodation providers charge extra per night per guest. If the number of guests (inc. children) aren’t selected such as that in a basic search, the basic search pricing won’t reflect the total number of guests included in the booking. If one does a detailed search, the price in the booking summary will show the total booking amount based on the number of guests staying. Here is another example using the same accommodation used for for the basic search:

Think of a basic search like shopping online for a pair of socks. A basic search will show the price of a pair of socks (just like on Stayz where the basic search defaults to the included number of guests for the minimum room rate). The price won’t be reflective if one plans to buy 3 pairs and postage. If one wants 3 pair, then 3 pair needs to be included before checkout to ensure that the purchase number is correct (just like Stayz where number of guests can be included in searches and/or at checkout).

It is often asked why if a place can sleep 6, why the nightly rate isn’t for the whole place including sleeping up to 6. The reason why is the cost of laundry and cleaning. Each bed slept on and towels etc can cost an accommodation provider in the order of $20-40 if the laundry is sent out to a commercial laundry for washing and drying. If the accommodation price included up to 6, then this would disadvantage couples as they would be paying for bedding/towels etc that they aren’t using. This is why accommodation providers usually have 1-2 guests included in the base rates. It is up to the booker to nominate the number of guests when searching/at checkout to ensure that the total booking amount covers the number of guests staying.

In relation to cleaning and service fees, in Australia these are shown in searches and also in the booking amount (as shown above for the service fees). I haven’t checked every other country, but it may be possible that the way Stayz manages pricing differs slightly between countries based on the requirements of a particular country.

In relation to cancellations, this is presented and based on the cancellation policy of the accommodation provider - within the constraints set up by the booking platform, in this case Stayz. As shown above, this information is included in the booking amount which can be checked before committing to a booking.

Something that Stayz does differently to some other platforms is they charge the booker a service fee. Some other platforms, the service fee or commissions are charged to the accommodation provider and indirectly included in the room rates. This could be done by Stayz to try and make accommodation advertised on their platform look ‘cheaper’ when high level searches are done when doing an internet search rather than through the booking platform itself. I haven’t done high level internet searches to see if this is the case.

1 Like