Stand up work desks

Request a test. Sitting is called the new
Smoking,

5 Likes

I agree with this. Sitting too much is really dangerous. We should still walk and exercise despite the distressing situation that the pandemic gives.

1 Like

Sitting for long periods without stretching or getting up to walk about is harmful. I used to have a sit-and-concentrate type job but would always get up and stretch every half hour. My OH@S training drummed this into us, along with having the right chair etc.

Standing for long periods is just as bad in my view. If you have a stand-up job you need to also stop and walk about, stretch and sit for a while regularly. I have also had jobs where I had to stand for long periods and was not allowed to sit down and that produced back pain.

I think “sitting is the new smoking” is a considerable exaggeration that gets attention but is not very accurate.

2 Likes

The Victorian Government has some excellent information on the health dangers of sitting too long…

4 Likes

There is plenty of previous evidence, mostly from production workers and machine operators that standing in the one spot or work centre for long periods of time also has risk factors.

It’s too far back by memory alone to offer off the cuff comment. One considered opinion that for sitting or standing:
There is no single, ideal body position for working. Constant sitting is not the safe alternative to constant standing, in fact prolonged sitting is a risk to health and safety as well (https://www.ohsrep.org.au/working_standing_up)

1 Like

I am quite new to the forum and am delighted to receive responses and advice. Thank you.
You might save me a lot of money, too. I believe standing desks are quite expensive.
Sounds like I should remember to stand and move around regularly. Trish

4 Likes

It is always great to have new members who make interesting posts. New members bring new ideas, issues and challenges which gives variety and adds value to the forum. Thank you for your interesting post as it is the first one about standing desks on the forum.

Yes they can be as they are more niche than a standard work desk/table. They are usually higher and which means that they need to be designed for a higher centre of gravity. Being higher they also have more materials needed to make them…and being more a niche product, less are produced which often means costs of production/manufacturer is higher.

4 Likes

I very much appreciate the article you sent me. I get absorbed in what I am doing and
Do not remember to change position

4 Likes

I am familiar with a workplace where this is being addressed by adding mechanisms that lift screens/keyboards - one such that is being employed is this:

https://www.vari.com/au/en/sit-stand-converter-varidesk-pro-plus-36/DC-PP36.html

(disclosure: I have no connection with this company in any way, not particularly fond of the solution either except it is relatively cheap and simple but doesn’t really suit someone with 5 or more screens on their desk - using two on a large desk with 4 screens feels like the practical limit).

5 Likes

Long ago when I had desk based jobs, what I got into the habit of was standing whenever I was talking on the phone. This provided the needed breaks, but didn’t disrupt my workflow anymore than necessary, because incoming phone calls were already a deviation from what I was doing.

4 Likes

You may also consider that standing at a desk, work station, or drafting board for long periods is also hard on the legs and circulation.

A good stand up work environment will also consider the floor surface. I long long ago worked at a drafting board doing engineering drawings. Hard heels and thin soles are a poor choice on concrete or cheap industrial grade flooring. Anti-fatigue floor mats are readily available these days. There is also a wide range of work focussed and everyday foot-ware with good support and cushioning. Employers are more accepting of individual choices in foot-ware. Although in the 70’s the choices were limited. Docs anyone. :wink:

1 Like

I have been using a stand-up desk for almost 10 years now. Would not have it any other way. True I have to wear a belt to support my back on long working days and have comfortable shoes or a carpet, but I get less back problems than I ever had before changing this habit

1 Like