#SpotAShonky - Expose Shonky products and services here

The 30 Seconds probably refers to how long it takes you to read the instructions. :wink:

5 Likes

I reckon Netregistry is a prime candidate for a Shonky. Quite apart from their reputation for atrocious service, Netregistry has a history of misappropriating funds from customers’ accounts and bullying attempts to extort undue payments. In my case they misappropriated funds then, when I recovered what they’d stolen, broke our contract by suspending service. How much they’ve misappropriated, extorted, bullied, harassed and otherwise stolen over the years, I shudder to think.
Netregistry on ProductReview (102 out of 103 “Bad” or “Terrible”)
Netregistry on WebHostingReviews (average 0.22 out of 10 for customer service & billing)
Avoid Netregistry on Whirlpool
and
My own account.

2 Likes

And another case of excessive packaging, this time Corn Flakes:

4 Likes

Rather than a shonky for excessive packaging surely this one should get a gong for making sure the carefully packed air arrives undamaged if dropped hard.

4 Likes

The first half makes some sense. The second? Sorry, still false advertising.

You can click through the reviewer’s name to see how many reviews they have written. I did that, and out of five positive reviews (including one four star, the others all five), not a single one of those accounts had written another product review.

When I tried to search for a home contents insurance calculator earlier this year, every one of the websites I could find used exactly the same calculator! They had their own ways of presenting it, but it asked all the same questions.

I ended up wandering around the house, documenting (and photographing) everything we owned, and then sitting down with my wife and estimating replacement values for each item.

My other nomination for Shonkies is something I saw while dusting around the house. Mrs Postulative had the TV on and was watching the latest royal tour. I heard the commentators/salespeople start talking about Ms Markle’s dress :dress:, and soon discovered that they were talking to its designer about where people could buy the same outfit! Mrs Postulative confirmed that this was a commonplace occurrence, and they tended to sell out fast.

My reaction: is this really the peak of human development :exploding_head:?!

6 Likes

Some interesting reading for Shonky spotters - Sarah Stevenson wins the Bent Spoon :spoon:

4 Likes

The rationalization in a comment is telling in how gullible and dismissive people can be. Humming in the ears makes everything right, right? A sign of the times. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

A closely allied sentiment is expressed as “well it’s just her(his) opinion” and “in a democracy everybody is entitled to have an opinion”. This idea obscures an important point.

Opinions should be heeded in proportion to the quality of thought and evidence behind them not how loudly they are spoken. However if you are a very popular and visible public personality your opinion, rightly or wrongly, has more influence You would think having greater responsibility would make the speaker pause and think more about what they say, especially regarding health advice, but it doesn’t. “Influencers” press on regardless, reaping the benefits of a daily ego-massage or money, or both.

Let us not infer that all such people are lying, some may well believe their own material. Apparently If you have zillions of followers and daily likes you may feel omniscient and that may do more harm than lies.

5 Likes

In some ways it reminds me of Belle Gibson.

I wonder if the ACCC/local department of consumer affairs will investigate, particularly when there are claims like:

‘On 26 April 2018, Sarah’s Day posted on Instagram “I DID IT!! I reversed my cervical dysplasia”, claiming successful treatment of her pre-cancerous condition through a regimen of “the power of natural medicine, food, lifestyle changes and prayer” and that she “made a conscious effort every day to cure [her] cervix”’

and she is profiteering from/selling hope to others.

5 Likes

I once stumbled upon a video showing how to give acupuncture to a horse using a hot needle! I posted something to the effect that it was just quackery, and got howled down.

Last week my wife took one of our dogs to see the vet about some ongoing issues. He was dropped on his back when he was a couple of months old (the dog, not the vet), and the vet saved his life. Unfortunately, the dog missed out on learning a lot of key social skills, and currently has a curved spine - the vet thinks he may still be in pain, a couple of years later. This vet is a fantastic guy, wonderful at his job, loves animals (and kept the afore-mentioned puppy living with him for part of his recuperation)… and suggested that we see an animal acupuncturist. Lucky I wasn’t there - my wife was diplomatic in her response.

Sure you can have an opinion. Everyone has their own opinions, but not everyone has facts - and some people seem to think that these no longer matter. One has to ask whether gravity still works, or is just someone’s opinion.

2 Likes

Shonky nomination time (actually, two nominees):

1. The federal government, for its failure to adequately staff basic services like Centrelink and Medicare. This has led tens if not hundreds of thousands of Australians losing benefits to which they are lawfully entitled, and to having to beg staff members for help! This is not an agency failure, it is a deliberate Commonwealth staff freeze policy that is having devastating effects on the most desperate people in our society.
  2. I think Choice has mentioned this in the past, but the mattress industry’s attempts to obfuscate and confuse buyers by selling the same product with different brand names from shop to shop and having endless ‘sales’.
4 Likes

We’ve had a product shrinkage report on Facebook - Carlton Dry have changed their packaging to a ring pull bottle top but they have also reduced the bottle size from 355ml to 330ml. That means you lose 1.8 beers per carton of 24. They also appear to have kept the price the same or slightly raised it. I couldn’t find a retailer that stocked both the old and new packaging to compare prices but here are prices for each from Liquorland (new packaging) and Dan Murphy’s (old packaging). Seems shonky to me!
CarltonRingpull

s.

8 Likes

FWIW I find Dan’s is usually cheaper than Liquorland so that difference could be their typical pricing.

Vintage Cellars…

and for the 355ml bottles, BWS

Once one takes the regular business models and pricing into account, adjusts for sales that can also be the common street prices, it looks sus but no smoking gun that would withstand its day in court.

6 Likes

Here’s a shonky product report from social media - the Chux Facebook page have posted about their new Dishwand that’s supposed to make doing the dishes easier. But multiple people have been leaving reports in the comments that the sponge comes away from the Dishwand after just a few days of use!
Has anyone used the Chux Dishwand?

5 Likes

Definitely dodgy trying to draw attention away from bottle shrinkage with “new top”.
Reports the new top is injuring customers are surfacing!

5 Likes

We have used the Dishmatic Pro cleaning sponges for many years without any problems, and they generally last around a couple of years before they wear out.

The actual sponges normally last around a month before they need replacing.

We did have a problem with the Dishmatic standard unit with the flip-up refill lid allowing the dishwashing liquid to leak out, but the Pro model has a secure screw-on refill cap, and the nozzle of the bottle of Morning Fresh fits inside it for quick & easy, spill-free refilling.

3 Likes

I wish to nominate this Woollies birthday cake for a spot-a shonky award.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/2018/11/14/11/43/dad-slams-supermarket-for-pathetic-effort-on-birthday-cake

That’s why I pick Coles and Supa IGA.

2 Likes

The not so great deal…

5 Likes

This scam sound very similar to the one Four Corners exposed in 2010.

The charlatans would sign business owners up for office equipment and they would get a “free flat screen TV” but the businesses would find out that they had signed a finance contract with Macquarie Bank.

Murray Bridge in SA was particularly hit hard with at least half of the businesses there being scammed.

3 Likes

I have another entry for the Spot-A-Shonky competition.

https://homes.nine.com.au/2018/11/14/13/45/iconic-bethungra-hotel-owners-giving-home-away-for-100

When is a “free pub” not a free pub?

When at least 20,000 people have to buy a $100 entry to “win” it.

3 Likes