Split systems and a big difference

I’m a renter and a perfectly happy one in an old, beaten-up 2-bedroom that I LOVE !
I was delighted to learn that my landlord was installing a brand new split system, foolishly assuming that it would be as efficient as my previous place’s …
Turns out that there exist versions for landlords - like, cheaper ones. This Carrier machine has a ‘swing’ button that causes the flap to move very slightly up and down - VERY slightly - and there’s no sign of movement right and/or left, alas ! (The positioning of it has the heat crossing the loungeroom and disappearing out the hallway …)
I’m now arranging for a thermal curtain to be hung in the loungeroom doorway.
Had no idea as a renter that one can still need to cough up moolah when new machinery is installed … :frowning:

2 Likes

UGH, know how you feel. Mine isnt a landlord issue, its my own silly fault… I had two Hotpoint Window a/c units years ago, which were completed stuffed by the dust storms of 2009. They both had oscillating louvres, and worked well, even though they were underpowered. I had to get rid of them and ended up buying new a/c units of a similar design, but did not first check for oscillation… nope, neither of them do that, so its manual siting of the vents to get cool. Both have more power than the ones they replaced, but are far less efficient.

3 Likes

Carrier (USA) is a respected mainstream A/C company but does not have a large presence in Australia but on paper it appears to be a competitive product.

Those who ‘hire out’ inevitably pick the cheapest solution and can be reticent to service it because the cost comes directly from their pocket.

It is possible yet unlikely you have a faulty unit. Do you have a supported unit and the app whereby you can run diagnostics on ‘97 functions’ (according to a Carrier brochure)?

Have you read the manual or assumed it works like your previous units? Different manufacturers have different control quirks.

For example, a random Carrier manual states that horizontal airflow vanes move 6 degrees on every push, so to move the vanes more than 6 degrees requires multiple pushes, possibly with a few seconds between them, unlike some models where vanes will move until the button is released. It also describes manually setting the vanes without the remote (after powering the unit off).

You could contact the installer or Carrier to ask about it because they could confirm or correct its operational characteristics.

5 Likes

Oscillation - that’s the word !! [grin]

2 Likes

I have been remiss, Phil. Colpa mia. I shall ask Carrier.

3 Likes