Spam from test.wixshoutout.com?

Recently seen emails from this source. Maybe it’s marketing, maybe it’s dodgy. Anyone else seen this?

4 Likes

It’s likely the emails come from an individual or a small business at best. Depending on the content of the emails and the circumstances around it, I’d be very careful about clicking any links or interacting with them.

If you provide a screen grab or some more details we can assess further.

3 Likes

Yes. Also the email headers if you can …

3 Likes

This appears to be a “take a survey and receive a reward” type of thing. This one I received purports to be from ebay. Seen a lot of these survey types from domains ending in .info before. Not sure it is malicious, or just information mining. My email system doesn’t really enable close inspection of headers, and when I try to look at the mail in a browser it comes up on shoutout.wix.com as “this shoutout has been removed”. So maybe it is just testing. Could also be someone misusing a legitimate marketing site.

4 Likes

Could be they were hacked also - saying it has been removed makes it look like you were late in replying or the survey has been cancelled - which sounds better than ‘we were hacked, found it, and removed it - sorry for the email you got’ - especially if the legit site had some of your personal details …

4 Likes

It is a “Blacklisted” site on SEM (Spam Eating Monkey) both on the URI and URIRED sections, and with SORBS DUHL (Spam and Open Relay Blocking System). A much larger list by others in the spam blocking industry have the address non blacklisted (but these change as more reports come in and if a recent occurrence).

The Reverse DNS (Domain Name System) does not match the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) banner (could be a sign of a hijack) and the DNS resolution failed (not good).

(the link shows a bit of the background coding of the page in this site but if you visit the link it renders correctly)

4 Likes

Or fits into this category:

2 Likes