Soy Milk for Babies

I was informed by a maternity professional many years ago that Soy Milk is not suitable for babies. Is this still true, as I have noticed that Karicare has a powder formula now.

5 Likes

It does appear generally that soy based milk formula is not recommended. Such is outlined in…

These guidelines also state…

Fortified soy drink or calcium-enriched rice and oat beverages can be used after 12 months under health professional supervision, as long as a full-fat variety is used and other sources of protein and vitamin B12 are included in the diet.

Any non-breast milk replacements should not be provided to a baby without consultation with a paediatrician or other qualified health professional. Unfortunately products you have identified possibly may be purchased by those parents who have strong dietary views thinking that their baby should follow the same dietary choices they make themselves. These parents may not be aware of the risks without proper advice being sought.

7 Likes

A good place for the right advice. :+1:

But in the real world!
The producer of the Karicare Soy Milk product has a CYA on it’s product link as follows:

You do need to click on the button at the bottom of the pop up, just to be sure Karicare is less at risk. Although all are free to make an independent decision and just skip the content. Rather than offer a position, I’ve highlighted the most important advice from the manufacturer.

Over at our friends a Woolies, there are zero warnings and indeed the product is clearly promoted as a suitable alternative to cows milk based formula for infants from 0-12months.

Never let a marketing opportunity be distracted by unnecessary information. Also an imported product made in Indonesia which may matter to some.

6 Likes

Warning labels on the brands of soy milk I buy are pretty clear on this subject.

Pure Harvest for example:

6 Likes

Thanks, phb.

2 Likes

Thanks, Gordon.

2 Likes