Sour dough bread, sour dough starter

Thank you!

I read somewhere that you keep it in the fridge and feed it a teaspoon of sugar every week.

I buy flour from The Source Bulk Food. So it’s 1kg $7. Not expensive but if using 250g daily for 4 days and then 500g daily for the rest of the time, it’s expensive.

I am just fed up with plastic bags and preservatives. I buy gluten free bread and it’s double plastic bag.

Love Sonoma sourdough. Might have to see if they sell starter.

It’s not Covid with me either. I have been doing most things from scratch for the last 7 years. This is just a natural progression.

Sounds like you have mastered the art. Congratulations. Now I have to aspire to this.

1 Like

I have IBS and need to avoid wheat, but can eat long fermented sourdough without a problem. I travel in a motorhome for 6 months per year so started making my own bread as many places we travel are pretty remote. I used the SBS guide and have had good results right from the start. It is not hard, just takes time and needs planning. I keep my starter in the fridge and take it out and feed it the night before I start the bread. The bread making process then takes me about 24 hours.

Bake with Jack on YouTube is a good resource too.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I developed gluten intolerance a number of years ago. Just like yourself, sourdough doesn’t cause issues.

For now I purchase sourdough at the farmers markets.

New project is making vinegar.
Next one is getting a yogurt maker and making organic yogurt
Guess Sourdough will follow

Apart from that will see if I can learn to make cheese, as getting a good ricotta is hard.

Never in a zillion years did I think that I will not only be doing it all from scratch but enjoying it haha