Soundbars review

We review soundbars (member content) to show you which ones sound the best and reveal which models have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. We also have a soundbar buying guide to show you how to find the best set up for your lounge room.

Share your experience with soundbars in the comments below.

5 Likes

I wound the filter down to $600 and a couple of recommended products still featured - are these things really any good? are some of them really worth 2k5$? Maybe I’m too old skool :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can’t give you a personal recommendation, but I’ve heard that they can be pretty impressive. People are tending to get these instead of bulkier sound systems.

3 Likes

In the case of the pricey Yamaha, if you have a suitable room (one with enough reflective surfaces) it does a quite amazing job of providing immersive, multi-channel sound without having any speakers at the back of the room. It won’t work well if you cover all of your windows and walls (and ceiling) with curtains or other sound-absorbent treatments. Similarly, it isn’t magical :smirk: - it won’t create surround-sound effects in a barn.

If you watch, or just listen to, a lot of surround-sound content, and you don’t want a traditional 5.1 or larger setup with speakers scattered about the room, this is an impressive alternative. As you note, the technology doesn’t come cheap.

Personally, I’m decidedly old skool, and am quite happy with our 5.1 system.

3 Likes

We’ve update our soundbar review for 2019 (member content).

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new message: Soundbars

Our 2020 sound bar review update is now here (member content):

2 Likes

Sometimes you can grab a bargain in the Aldi sales, but for these soundbars, we think you’d be best putting your money elsewhere:

3 Likes