Sony TV –Sony turn off internet applications. This is not built in obsolescence but programmed obsolescence

The only TV in our home was bought in 2014. It is a Sony Bravia and has worked perfectly well. This week, the “Sony Entertainment Network” button on the remote that is used to bring up all the internet applications, such as catch-up TV, Netflix, Youtube, etc simply stopped working – the TV says “Not Available”. After trying multiple resets (TV software, booting the modem and router etc), I rang Sony. They pretty much said Android is the new way to deliver these services and they have stopped supporting the Sony Entertainment Network functionality altogether and turned it off. So just like that, a decision of Sony makes my TV obsolete when the hardware is perfectly fine. It smacks of the Apple software slowdown when a new model was released. Well, if I’m shopping for a TV soon, I’m not going to buy a Sony, am I? – now or ever! I hope turns out to be a very expensive act of arrogance on Sony’s part.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Apps/Function Problems with TV’s