Solar storage batteries: Tesla Powerwall and 17 others put to the test

Likely correct for today, although spending to buy two batteries and a Tesla, sorry NIO one of these for home might be the go.

The whole process becomes simpler the lighter future battery tech becomes! :wink:

There might be a little wait for a sustainable cost benefit analysis.

2 Likes

Our EV allows us to schedule when it charges. This means we can, and do, choose to avoid the evening peak load time. We come home, plug in and nothing happens until the scheduled time. Our home charger works at a rate of 22kW - so to charge from 20% battery capacity up to 90% would take less than three hours - but this is not how we use it - we do frequent “top up” charging. Depending on the car’s usage we may plug in every night or every second night to top up rather than let it get low - which means that typical charge times at home vary from half an hour to two hours

4 Likes

Very conservative range figures in that table.
Real life: secondhand Tesla Model S with 85kWh battery set off with 93% battery and drove 335 kilometres and ended up with 16% battery at the end of the day.

4 Likes

Saw Bristol tram using flywheel energy storage for their electric trams in 1998.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, Mark_m!
That’s exactly the info I was looking for! - Halving the life of a $10K or $5K battery is the core issue no-one has mentioned in my hearing/sight till now.
(Can’t charge ‘at work’ - am retired - and the volunteering I do doesn’t have power points in the car-park.)
An aside: a neighbour bought a Mitsubishi PHEV a year ago - and find it’s all the EV they need; ‘we rarely go over 70km round-trip suburban running, fuel & energy costs in the year have been almost nothing’. (They have solar panels).
Thanks again. No further queries.

4 Likes

Perhaps in the future you will be able to get a roof-integrated panel for a car. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They do on some include integrated panels. The Sono Motor Company produce the Sion for an example.

“The basic price for the vehicle is 16,000 euros plus the cost of the battery, which we expect to be around 9,500 euros. We’re planning to offer the battery at a one-time purchase price as well as with the option of renting or leasing it. The reason for excluding the battery from the price is that we want to always offer the most up-to-date price. We will calculate the final price for the battery based on the market rates for battery cells at the time of production.”

3 Likes

Choice reliability and satisfaction surveys certainly do rely on numbers of Choice subscribers having already purchased whatever products is being surveyed.
But for new sorts of products, Choice subscribers are looking for data and information to help them in their purchase decision - an important role for Choice.

1 Like

My home charger is rated for 22kW, and as my car has the onboard capability to handle that rate of charge that is what I use at home.
The 22kW maximum is determined by Australian standard for AC electricity supply - voltage and amperage.
The charger came included in the price of the EV, and we simply paid for the electrical work to install it.

3 Likes

UK is looking to require that “All new homes will have to be fitted with charge points for electric vehicles, as the government seeks to facilitate the infrastructure improvements necessary for the planned mass-adoption of electric vehicles.” 15 July 2019 article https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107439/electric-car-charge-points-to-be-installed-in-every-new-home
Much like many areas of Australia already require homes to be built to a minimum passive solar rating, and in some areas with rain water tanks.

3 Likes

I think you must have 3phase power to the house- most only have single phase these days, which limits chargers to 7kW AFAIK.

2 Likes

Most homes with single phase only have an 80 ampere feed in line, and most homes which already have an oven & cooktop & HWS & lighting circuit & ‘normal’ 10amp power point circuit etc are (by all the means that electricians use to calculate these things) ‘fully using’ the capacity from their feed-in
==> so even if you are content to stay with single phase, if you want a circuit above 10 amperes for your charger you are going to have to pay to have your single phase feed-in supply upgraded to a higher amperage single phase. When we found that out, we chose to have the front yard dug up to upgrade the feed-in cable to the house to three phase rather than have the front yard dug up for higher amp single phase.
It was an easy decision to make (especially as our future may utilise three phase capacity for load balancing with airconditioners, pool pump, heat pumps, etc).
The supply out in the street had the three phase capacity.

4 Likes

It is arguable that in urban areas that cost would be better put towards public transport. Roads congested with electric vehicles are still congested roads, no matter how commendable the reduction in CO2 emissions.

In any case, while overseas experience can always inform us, it isn’t necessarily applicable to us. I would guess that the main difference between the UK and us is “housing density” (even in urban areas).

2 Likes

Definitely, however the seem to have nearly as many cars as us per 1,000 head of population.

Love this table

Puts the China transport GHG challenge into focus.

Interestingly if it’s vehicles per 1,000 population Australia’s (730 veh) four closest matches are:
Liechtenstein,
Luxembourg,
Malta,
and Brunei.

The UK figure (579 cars) is a little out of date (2016) and only includes cars.

2 Likes

Hi Gordon,
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with running a household and battling some health issues.

Seems like the vacuum tubes are the way to go then especially considering that the outlay will be much lower.

Just got our winter bill too for $64.69 which is the first bill we have received for the 12 month period.

This includes cooking, heating, washing and everything else you can think of when running a household.

:smiley:

2 Likes

Having installed a Tesla Powerwall 2 just over two years ago I strongly disagree. Panels alone reduced our bills by about 30% adding the battery makes it about 80% — and could be more if we had space for more panels. We’ve greatly reduced the electricity we feed into the grid, and have switched to a time-of-use tariff, so most power from the grid is at off-peak rates. Another way we have saved is that the graphs provided through the app make it possible to reduce waste.

The blackout protection is another significant benefit — we have had a number of power cuts and by turning off the pool pumps and hot water can get by for extended periods — we can also provide an extension cord for each of our neighbours to keep their fridges going. Consider all the businesses that lost thousands of dollars worth of stock in the current bush fires — with panels and battery they could have saved their stock and possibly kept trading through the crisis — but Choice is advising them to wait for prices to come down!

It is not difficult to compare (in a spreadsheet for example) outcomes for a family with and without panels and battery — making reasonable assumptions about inflation, investment returns, interest rates etc. to see that over the term of a mortgage (and every single year) they will be much better off with the battery — even factoring replacement along the way.

I think this sort of analysis would be much more helpful than the usual ‘pay-back’ times. Preferably a number of different scenarios would be included to consider different stages of life and circumstances. From a young family with large mortgage to pensioners — whose common response to hearing a pay-back time is “I might not live that long”.

Adding a battery to a solar system also makes all the regional variations in rates and feed-in tariffs largely irrelevant, since you can become largely self sufficient.

Edit: From a couple of comments below perhaps I need to clarify. Rather than say batteries don’t make economic sense for most people (whether or not that is true) I think it would be more helpful to try to identify circumstances where it would and where it would not be cost effective. Showing figures for people in a range of different circumstances would probably help readers know what they could expect. There are many variables that can affect the outcome — your current advice is probably leading people who could be benefiting already from putting off the purchase.

Remember this family, who also decided not to wait for prices to come down…
https://www.domain.com.au/news/the-first-person-in-the-world-to-have-a-tesla-powerwall-battery-924164/

3 Likes

Excellent :slight_smile:
My neighbours are all rather too far away for that, but blackouts around here sometimes extend into days rather than hours, the last one I heard about was nearly 3 days. Often the payback time calculations for batteries do not take into account what a freezer or 3 worth of frozen goodies might be worth, potentially many times over in the life of a battery.

3 Likes

That is a great outcome.

As every household is different, perhaps you could help us by sharing how the assessment should be done.

I can only relate to our two solar PV systems. One a nominal 5kW and the other 3kW. Both are connected to the grid in SE Qld. Both have been installed and operating for more than 12 months. Both accounts are in credit, no batteries required.

Perhaps our bills are different to everyone else.

P.S.
Yes it would be useful when the power goes out. Given we have a 240v generator for other needs, the blackout scenario is not critical. At least until the generator needs replacing.

We have considered a battery system for both properties. There is plenty of data on our useage/export from AGL and Origin.

Our total investment in PV has been less than $10k.
Spending a further $30k to purchase and install two Powerwalls or battery systems seems counter intuitive. Unless it enables one to go off 100% off grid. The current high retail cost and low cycle life of lithium batteries makes this an even less attractive option as we are currently grid connected. But very smart if you are looking at a $50,000 rural connection cost to a new property.

1 Like

Hi Gordon

Yes, in a rural setting extension cords may not be practical, perhaps you could offer to store some of their frozen goods, or console them with a cold beer!

…but seriously the blackout protection would be a significant factor for many people, especially businesses.

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

Exactly, every household is different, so quoting a “pay-back” time of say 8.4 years in NSW, and 7.9 in SA etc. makes no sense to me. The sort of thing I have in mind would be a number of scenarios where people could see which most closely matches their situation and whether it is cost effective, apart from reducing their emissions.

E.g. a 30 year old couple with a large mortgage and $3000 per year electricity bills extend the mortgage by $20,000 and cut their bills by $2000, the net saving is invested in additional pre-tax superannuation payments… etc. The compounding investment would be very significant by the time they retire.

An online calculator would be ideal, so people could plug in the variables to match their situation, or perhaps a spreadsheet that they could download.

2 Likes