Snake Oil Scam?

My wife clicked on an item on the laptop this morning which was a video presentation by a Dr Grundy in the US advising of his illustrious career, genius research and fabulous medical achievements.

It prattled on for around an hour after which she wanted to try his fantastic products despite my stating it was all snake oil.

A quick Google search of the good doctor turned up a number of less than inspiring reviews including the one on Product Review and another on the US Better Business Bureau website.

We will definitely be giving the snake oil cures a wide berth. As the say, forewarned is forearmed.

4 Likes

I don’t want to go into the details of all his material but two things jump out at me as worth thinking about.

• He uses the ‘great man’ fallacy, a version of appeal to authority. That is he pushes his qualifications in an unrelated field as reason to believe his claims in the field that he is selling.
    Consider Linus Pauling, who genuinely was a great man (the only person to be awarded two Nobel Prizes, Chemistry and Peace, in their own right) who in his later years branched out into medicine. He pushed megavitamin therapy and in particular large doses of vitamin C to prevent colds. The evidence doesn’t support the idea. It doesn’t mean he didn’t once do good work, just lost perspective.

• He sells a particular product to combat the problem(s) that he has invented.

5 Likes

… it hit the bottom of my virtual rubbish bin as soon as that old chestnut appeared …

Indeed an excellent point - there’s probably a variety of reasons people do good stuff followed by not so good, or vice-versa - don’t discard the good because they had a few wanderings outside the zone, so to speak. Of course it makes us more wary of their whole body of work, but thats OK. I’m also fine with someone testing a theory that ‘doesn’t make sense’ or where the evidence doesn’t support, or has been ‘disproven’ - as long as they do it properly; scientifically.

4 Likes

When I overheard part of the spiel where the good doctor claimed a number of items in the globally acclaimed Mediterranean diet such as tomatoes, eggplant, and whole grains can cause serious health problems, I immediately sensed snake oil.

However, after looking at some reviews, there were more serious issues claimed by customers such as not receiving items paid for, not receiving promised refunds, having their credit cards continually debited, and being unable to cancel recurring orders.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/beverly-hills/profile/health-and-wellness/gundry-md-1216-645924/complaints

If it looks like a scam, if it sounds like a scam, and if it smells like a scam, then run for the exits.

3 Likes

Nice work applying a critical filter @Fred123. We often hear from consumers about the persuasivness of these type of videos, and I feel The Community is great place to balance this type of spin with some fact-based research.

3 Likes