Smartphones Causing Mental Health Issues In Children

A couple of articles regarding smartphones causing mental health issues in children as young as two.

Why on earth would a 2-year-old be allowed to play with a smartphone? image

3 Likes

Yeah it’s all a balancing act when it comes to technology. It’s unrealistic to say kids shouldn’t use technology, but there are 2 concerning things developing imo.

Firstly the age at which children start accessing technology. I’m a 90s kid and I got my first video game console when I saved up and bought it myself at age 13. I got totally unrestricted internet access for the first time at 18. I think the most important part of this was learning the value of technology. I never nagged my parents to buy me anything because I understood how expensive it was having saved up myself.

My other concern is how the technology is being used. Games with kids should be a chance to learn and interact with others in a safe environment. So many parents just use it to occupy and avoid caring for their kid. So they’re not learning to talk, how to play nicely, how to be patient or any other useful skills technology has the power to teach. As they get older they’re not being taught how to stay safe online, how age ratings are there to protect them or how some games use psychology to lure you in to microtransactions or gambling.

There’s so many useful skills technology should be teaching, but parents just can’t be bothered or simply don’t understand it themselves.

2 Likes