Smart Phone Batteries

I recently had a faulty battery when I purchased a Samsung Galaxy J1 mini. The sales person told me that the new one only has a six month warranty, only the phone has a two year warranty. I think this fact should have been made clearer on all mobiles. Can Choice staff investigate the life of batteries on all brands from inexpensive to the most expensive phones?

3 Likes

This link

appears to say otherwise. It also mentions products bought in an auction are not covered at all - I wonder if they include Ebay and buy-it-now option in that? Can’t see that flying under the ACL?

Edited to add: my list of reasons not to buy Samsung increases … again …

4 Likes

Thanks for the request @wrice, I’ll be sure to pass it on.

1 Like

Australian Consumer Law trumps warranties, and says that a product must be fit for purpose. While it is more difficult to claim via the ACCC, mentioning it may help your cause.

Unfortunately, I gather that it is impossible to predict how long a particular battery might last. This is something I was told last time I replaced my car battery, and presumably goes with the technology. Regardless, a consumer item should come with a decent replacement period - consumers should not have to worry about separate warranties for separate parts of a device, or such a short replacement period for an expensive part.

2 Likes

Yes it does. 2 years for an embedded battery (like in a smart phone which can’t be removed), or 1 year for others.

Now, if the battery has been replaced…within 2 years…

@wrice, if you have all the relevant documents (purchase receipt/invoice, payment for battery replacement), I woule be taking those along with the manufacturer warranty card provided in link provided by @draughtrider above, to the retailer and demand reimbursement of the battery replacement.

The information provided by the retailer of 6 months is incorrect, resulting in money being spent on the battery replacement, which should have otherwise been replaced free of charge under warranty.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree, draughtrider. Fortunately, I did not spend a cent for this replacement. I wait and see how long this one will last before taking action. I asked one of the sales people how long can I expect a battery to last and he replied 'it depends how often you use the phone". What codswallup!

2 Likes