Singlets

Just wondering if Choice have done a feature on singlets since this one late 1973/early 74 :smiley:

4 Likes

None recently. A lot has changed since the 1970s, including fashions, number who wear singlets, range available and manufacturers.

4 Likes

The blue ones last longer! :laughing:

5 Likes

and they used to be standard safety gear in many industries.

3 Likes

…and this is why I joined Choice. Their reviews aren’t just tv’s and expensive electrical gear but items you use everyday. Just by joining Choice I found you actually start saving money straight away by not buying rubbish.

4 Likes

My observations of the choices these days is they are very limited. A further ob is products that were on the shelf 6 months prior no longer exist. It may be the branding has changed, especially for what are effectively store brands. Alternately the brand remains prominent, but the product appears to have changed in some way. Hence recommendations can be out of date when released.

Are there similar observations from others?

Given the time it takes to research a market, blind purchase, test and report, does the market move too often for any reviews of that product space to remain relevant?

P.S.
I’ve mostly purchased Bonds, subject to suitable colour options on the day. For outdoor summer work wear there are better more climate suitable fabrics.

7 Likes

Much to my surprise, when I did a search for cheap men’s singlets there are quite a few options from well know stores for under $10 each, with a few under $5. I wasn’t expecting so many options for plain singlets as they are no longer the de-rigueur underwear item they once were.

At that sort of pricing, a couple of years wear before recycling them to other uses (like we used to) would seem reasonable value for money.

6 Likes

Here’s the singlets article!

7 Likes

Absolutely brilliant.
Back then singlets…or tank tops, were very much a fashion trend. No one wore white singlets out and about or to school but the were various coloured ones with various coloured trim :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Men’s singlets (and women’s too) are still out there. A singlet is usually tight fittings and worn under a shirt, but sometimes also worn as outwear.
But maybe a loose fitting shirt without a collar or sleeves known as a Tank Top is the one more visible nowadays and popular as an active wear in sports and in gym as it is more comfortable and cooler than a tight fitting one.

Quite a different look from the '70s!

3 Likes

My issue with singlets is they are too short even at size 26. I usually tuck the ends into the tops of my underwear to avoid ‘creep’. I’ve found Bonds have the length but are not cheap.

4 Likes

I have worked with some taller types. Finding clothes and foot wear off the shelf in the right proportion is an ongoing problem.

Tradie Big Fella appear to have plenty of length if the promo pic is to be believed. It was a surprise to see the same pack shot used for the regular M/L standard range. I guess we all look that good? :wink:

P.S.
I’m yet to decide whether the Tradie label prioritises brand promotion or product quality. Bonds still rules here. The difference in premium price is insignificant compared to the cost of most other clothing items. Comfort equals value?

2 Likes