Silicone & other food covers

Some greaseproof papers are coated but with alginate or similar biodegradable coatings. These coatings fill the pockets in the paper to make it more oil/grease resistant, but they do breakdown.

4 Likes

Aldi bags went like hot cakes. Missed out

Only managed to get one box of s/s pegs. Again sold out too fast and I don’t line up. People fight over the smallest items.

Was hit in the face one time when an old lady wanted something I was holding but the table still had plenty of items.

1 Like

Me too. 1 litre coconut oil jars will hold a lot of split peas, chickpeas etc.If I have to use a bowl I just put a small plate on top.

2 Likes

Beeswax wraps have their uses and I make my own but the waxed lunch wrap was my go to when it was not practical to provide a ‘bring home’ covering for a sandwich.

3 Likes

An article on change.org on making your own beeswax wraps.

https://www.change.org/p/imported-honey-must-be-banned-or-labelled-with-country-of-origin-eg-china-argentina/u/27419992?

Sounds like just the bees knees.

1 Like

Simon Mulvany again… a refresher topic

I have a set of 3 like this mark1bean that I bought from Aldi and they are brilliant, mine are about 18, 23 and 30cm they fit perfectly on my soup bowl, salad bowl and big mixing bowl, all you do is plonk them on, it’s like a suction lid, they create a seal just by touching the edge of the bowl, no fiddling. Aldi often repeat their special buys, worth keeping an eye out for

2 Likes

I no longer use cling wrap nor foil unless I am sending something to someone to keep (eg biscuits). I have been totally converted to beeswax wraps. They are fantastic! Certainly do the job and are so very attractive with the colours in materials available. Please do consider these as they last quite awhile. They are also totally biodegradable when you need new wraps.
I got mine from AUSTRALIAN small businesses on the sites “One Day Closer To Rain Rural crafts” and “Buy From A Bush Business”. People there sell amazing colours and patterns, already made into different size wraps, and some sell the means of making your own. Support Aussie rural folk, help the planet - and get something that works well and is beautiful!

1 Like

Hi there. I made a reply re beeswax wraps a few minutes ago. It may be helpful. I am an older person and don’t jump quickly onto new ideas and proposals with out research. I am sold on beeswax wraps - all AUSSIE made! :grinning: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip pennycarrier. I get a lot of use from the smaller sizes too. They go on small bowls, condiment dishes and mugs. I didn’t mention but a nice feature is they have little radial ribs on one side. To store food (as you mention) put the flat side on the bowl and it seals well, and then to heat in the microwave, turn it over and the steam can escape where the ribs cause it to very slightly sit away from the bowl rim.

We use two styles of silicone covers. Large stiff and circular Charles Viancin ones and soft and almost cloth like smaller square ones - not sure of the brand. They all work well and very easy to wash in the sink

I LOVE the idea of beeswax wraps for sandwiches (especially when our current set of plastic fantastic sandwiches boxes inevitably break, and when a gaffer taped hinge is no longer effective)… but I have a hard enough time getting the family to bring home their plastic containers to risk beautiful beeswax wraps.

1 Like

Stainless Steel Boxes are better…

Wraps need to be replaced every year or less, depending on their use.

I buy organic fresh produce and eat everything, leaves, cores, stems. Cauliflower - stems are pickled, or stir fried, leaves are pickles, grilled, stir fried etc etc

I hardly throw anything out, yet my little container in the freezer is getting full for onion, garlic, some tougher fresh herbs stems… never realised how much gets thrown out even though I hardly throw anything out.

(collecting scraps to make stock) Now if my building would get a compost bin haha

2 Likes

Re the covers that are marketed as reusable & washable, stretchy and clingy -
I’ve tried about four types and found that while they might cling to a room temperature dry object at a retail demonstration, they hardly ever cling (and never re-cling) to a container that is not completely dry or has been in the refrigerator. It might be the temperature or it might be the condensation, or both, but cling reliably they will not. Tried on glass, metal, and reusable plastic bowls and containers.
To avoid frustration at the same time as avoiding single use plastic wrap, we prefer to use greaseproof paper, waxed cloth wraps, foil, ‘shower caps’ for containers, and best of all reusable containers that have their own lid.

4 Likes

Consider a worm farm rather than a compost bin for inner city living. You can’t put scraps from onion, garlic, citrus in it, but all other vegetable matter is good (and some paper etc). Worm farms don’t smell and are clean; and produce ‘worm juice’ and worm castings.

2 Likes

not in my building. things like that are forbidden. One person had to get rid off hers.

2 Likes

A Bokashi Bin?? And contribute the compost to your nearest Community Garden?
https://www.bokashi.com.au/

2 Likes

yes. I got the 6 pack. Must admit not very happy with. They are so limiting as only get one of each different size. I need more of the same size. They are not cheap. Plus, only really work on round shapes?
If have a jug etc, not really work. Feel like was a waste of money, but did it as the concept was appealing (less waste).

2 Likes

When soaking fruit, etc. overnight, or other mixtures which need to be stored or refrigerated for a period of time, I use plastic shower caps which I’ve collected from hotel stays.

1 Like