Silicone & other food covers

Silicon Food Covers seem to be gaining popularity.

Trying to finish what’s left of glad wrap and migrate to them, wondering if anyone has used them.

As there are a number of them on the market, wondering which one is the best one.

Almost done getting rid of plastic at home.

4 Likes

I have only just started using a set, which I purchased for the same reason as you. So far, I have found a bit of difficulty stretching over bowls (at least initially - I hope they will become a bit more pliable with use, but recommend having a grip mat or similar to free up both hands for stretching!). Have yet to try a square/oblong container - and no joy on my first,and only (so far) attempt to use as a cover in the microwave. The steam generated lifted (softened??) the tight fit - next time I will add a covering plate in an attempt to hold it on! But - I will persevere… I currently recycle all soft plastics via Redcycle, and am appalled at the volume my household generates - mainly packaging.

PS There are only three clingfilm products Redcycle will accept: Cling film - GLAD, COLES HOME brand and WOOLWORTHS Essentials Home brand ONLY.

https://www.redcycle.net.au/what-to-redcycle/

5 Likes

Thank you!

I like the idea but still on the fence.

I know they are gaining popularity, but expecting someone to come out and say they should not be used for xyz reasons. They are not cheap.

Still have GLAD cling film.

I often soak things overnight on the bench top and don’t want any midnight visitors, nor want marinade etc to smell out the fridge.

2 Likes

If foods don’t need to be fully sealed (namely any non-fluid food stuffs), one can also use a elastic edged cotton cover (a bit like the elastic plastic shower/hair covers). If one can sew, these can easily be made of varying sizes and a range of different patterns. This YouTube video shows one way to make them…

These also have the advantage that they can be thrown in the wash to clean them.

4 Likes

I’ve seen them. My sawing skills are not great.

Silicon lids go into the dishwasher. If and when I soak things it’s usually mustard seeds. chickpeas or salting citrus. Need to be covered.

2 Likes

For non tight seals, such as overnight soaking of beans, we use foil. It can be reused over and over, and then eventually recycled.

If you want a tighter seal with the foil, put a rubber band on/around the foil to hold it in place. For larger items longer bits of hat or other elastic can be used in lieu.

5 Likes

I have a fly tent. I don’t know what its proper name is, like a mesh umbrella you put over plates or bowls to exclude visitors.

5 Likes

Similar to these (noting they are cheaper elsewhere)?

4 Likes

Yes, you can get them much cheaper.

3 Likes

We have had a square white one for decades.

Works great and folds up like an umbrella so requires little storage space in the kitchen drawer.

3 Likes

If I’m soaking stuff overnight and I’m using a bowl with no lid, I use a plate upside down to cover it. I have flattish dinner plates that do the job well.

I have no philosophical objections to cling film, I just find it super annoying to use. I stick to bowls and containers with lids, upside down plates and the odd bit of foil.

Food cross contamination…

As much as I dislike wasting things that can be reused. Re using tin foil is a no.

1 Like

Good point. We are careful not to cross contaminate, and generally wash the foil between uses.

2 Likes

Cling film type wraps made their first appearance in our house in the early 1970’s.

Prior alternate products included

• Grease proof for lunch wrap etc, often reused on consecutive days for lunches,
  • Heavy duty plastic bags (most often from brown sugar and rice) washed and reused and washed and reused ad infinitum,
  • brown paper bags recycled from shopping (No need to purchase) and continually reused until crumpled into submission.

Cling film, in the day often didn’t cling all that well, except in a tangled mess to itself. Once it had appeared at home, it too was required to be returned for reuse for another lunch etc. Recollection it was an expensive luxury, not to be wasted. Dismay, it could not be readily washed for effective reuse. The shortages of the war and post war were still fresh in the minds of the older generations!

At the time for the pre baby boomer generations cling film was at first an unnecessary wasteful product. Lessons now not learned. For those marketing the product it was an essential without which everyday life, indeed existence itself was impossible. Social acceptance hanging on your ability to turn up at a party with a disposable plate/s of offerings generously wrapped in the stuff.

I’m left to ponder that while Generations pass on, mass marketing to capture our minds and souls remains eternal?

Lament:
I’m also left to wonder what happened to all those plate/s full of red and green coloured pickled onions, coon cheese squares with salami on cocktail sticks, and the supreme devils on horseback. Cling film and the evolution of the waxed cardboard plates to plastic remain the enduring legacy. Salvation or damnation?

The ‘second coming’ best embodied in my world by the arrival of Craig Reucassel also appears to be in doubt, mostly due to funding reductions forced on the ABC.

4 Likes

Something to be aware if is silicone is also considered by the plastics industry a type of plastic as well…a synthetic composite of rubber and plastic polymers. It has been marketed as a plastic alternative (which it isn’t because it is a type of plastic) and good for the environment, but I wonder if it is greenwashing.

Why?

While it is reusable like other plastics, it also persists in the environment a long time like other plastics and is not biodegradable. Also while it could be recycled like other plastics, currently in Australia for the domestic user there is no avenue to send it for recycling. Note: plastic recycling is available for domestic users of plastic.

I am unsure whether silicone is better than traditional plastic, if one is trying to do the right thing because of the negatives of plastic use.

3 Likes

Many years ago I discovered Corningware dishes with glass lids which I always use in the microwave. The great advantage is that it is easy to lift the glass lid via the raised knob on top which avoids the need to constantly dodge steam escaping from under the plastic wrap. Simple, convenient and better for the environment! They are expensive to buy but I’m still using a set we were given as a wedding present 27 years ago.

2 Likes

According to some of the manufacturers they use Silicon Sand.

Silicon sand

Silica Sand is quartz that over time, through the work of water and wind, has been broken down into tiny granules. … Silica (SiO2) is the name given to a group of minerals composed solely of silicon and oxygen.

have been using Corningware since I was in my 20’s … these days mostly just use glass jars.

Personal preference.

Silica Sand is not plastic…

I don’t like wax paper and trying to step away from foil is well.

1 Like

Silicon which is the chemical element is very different to silicone the synthetic material. I have been tempted to change the thread heading as technically it is incorrect, unless one wishes to use quartz or sand to cover ones food.

This website explains the difference:

As outlined above, silicone the synthetic material, is classed as a type of plastic by the plastics industry.

1 Like